1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of electric field due to line of charge

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charge (uniform linear density = 9.4 nC/m) lies on a string that is stretched along an x axis from x = 0 to x = 3.0 m. Determine the magnitude of the electric field at x = 5.5 m on the x axis.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{dE}=\frac{\lambda dx}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0} r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe the unit vector can eliminated since the point is on the same axis as the line of charge (cos(0)=1). My concern is with my limits of integration and with my "r" argument. My final expression was:

[tex]E = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0} 5.5^2} \int^{3}_{0} dx[/tex] which got me an 8.38244 N/C, a wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Looks like your r is a function of x.

For any dq isn't r = (5.5 - x) ?

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    Yes! I knew the influence of dq would vary with distance from it. I just wasn't sure how to incorporate that. I guess I'm having trouble visualizing r as a function of x that way. Is the x in (5.5 - x) the position of dq?

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

As I see it, yes. That should be the r for a particular dq located at x, and relative to the point 5.5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook