1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Electric Field problem

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If q+ve=2.01 nC, q-ve=-2.01 nC, d1=3.28 cm, and d2=6.56 cm, what is the magnitude of the electric field at the position C?

2. Relevant equations

E=E1 + E2 E1=kq/r E2=kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I still can't get this, any help please

this is what i've done so far -- if u notice what im doing wrong pleaseeeeee point it out

first, i got E from Q1 using kq/r (squared) = 1.68E7
    then i got E from Q2 using kq/r (squared) -- found r using a squared+b squared= c

then i started on getting the x and y components of each.
    we know E from Q1 is only x component, and so x = 1.68E7 while y=0

E2 is at an angle
    (i think i might be doing this part wrong) = sin angle = d2/r (found above) , angle is 63

x component of E2= E2cos63
    y component of E2= E2sin63

now i add the two x together (E1)+ (-e2) and I have the neg Y

then i use phyth. theorm to get r in N/C

what am i doing wrong ?

(i then went back and unsquared all my r values for kq/rSquared into kq/r and it still dont work)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    Mabey It's just me, but I don't get the problem.
    What is "q+ve"? (I know it's a charge but what kind, I don't understand the +/- ve)
    Also, what are d1 and d2? Distances from what?
    Does the point c have a special location like any axis, or is it just any point c?
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    q+ve=2.01 nC, q-ve=-2.01 nC - Sorta looks like a dipole, but I don't really understand the problem either...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?