Point where the electric field is zero

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the point where the electric field is zero between two charges, q1= +3 nC and q2=+8 nC, with a separation distance of d=12 cm. The solution involved setting the electric field equations equal to each other and solving for x, with Coulomb's constants cancelling out. This approach was deemed correct.
Aleksandre

Homework Statement

Charges q1= +3 nC and q2=+8 nC have a separation distance of d= 12 cm. Find the point where the electric field is zero.

Homework Equations

E=kq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I approached this problem as follows:
1) I assume the point where it happens is between charges, on a straight line.
2) Due to nature of electric field vector it should be closer to smaller charge and field vectors should add up to zero e.i should be equal in magnitude.
3) Equation I came up with would be:
E1=E2

kq1/(x)2 = kq2/(d-x)2

Coulumb's constants would cancel out and then I could solve for x. Is it correct approach?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleksandre said:
Is it correct approach?
Yes.

(Welcome to PF!)

What is the concept of a point where the electric field is zero?

The concept of a point where the electric field is zero refers to a location in space where the strength and direction of the electric field is equal to zero. This means that there is no net force acting on an electric charge placed at this point.

How is a point where the electric field is zero determined?

A point where the electric field is zero can be determined by calculating the net electric field vector at that point. This involves considering the electric field contributions from all nearby charges and taking into account their magnitudes and directions.

Why is a point where the electric field is zero significant?

A point where the electric field is zero is significant because it can help us understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions. It also plays a role in determining the equilibrium position of charged particles in an electric field.

Are there any real-life examples of points where the electric field is zero?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of points where the electric field is zero. One example is the center of a uniformly charged spherical shell, where the electric field is zero at any point inside the shell. Another example is the center of a ring of charge, where the electric field is zero at the center of the ring.

How can a point where the electric field is zero be used in practical applications?

A point where the electric field is zero can be used in practical applications such as designing circuits and electronic devices. It can also be used in particle accelerators to manipulate the trajectory of charged particles. Additionally, it is important in understanding the properties of materials and their electrical conductivity.