Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude Of Force Between Magnets

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    It is my understanding that the force between magnets relates directly to the shape of each magnet. To annul the shape of the magnet, I am seeking a formula that describes the force between two magnets in terms of magnetic flux density.

My Question.
    If two permanent magnets faced each other: (1) what is the magnitude of the attractive force between a north and south pole; and (2) what is the magnitude of the repulsive force between a north and north pole?

My Guess:
    Both magnetic forces are equivalent and defined as F = (B1+B2) / d^2.
    Attractive Force: F is the force required to keep the magnets from coming together given the magnetic flux densities, B1 and B2, of each magnet at the distance by which they are separated, d.
    Repulsive Force: F is the force required to keep the magnets from separating given the magnetic flux densities, B1 and B2, of each magnet at the distance by which they are separated, d.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?