Magnitude of Initial velocity of Spacecraft

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
dragon18
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
On a spacecraft two engines fire for a time of 572 s. One gives the craft an acceleration in the x direction of ax = 5.15 m/s2, while the other produces an acceleration in the y direction of ay = 7.41 m/s2. At the end of the firing period, the craft has velocity components of vx = 3782 m/s and vy = 4842 m/s. Calculate the magnitude of the initial velocity.


I'm not sure what equations to use.



Attempt
add the square root of 3782 and the square root of 4842
take the square root of the sum 131.082
=11.42 m/s(incorrect)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what equations to use.
This is motion with constant acceleration isn't it?
Use the suvat equations.

Attempt
add the square root of 3782 and the square root of 4842
take the square root of the sum 131.082
You are saying you did: ##\sqrt{\sqrt{v_x}+\sqrt{x_y}}## ?
=11.42 m/s(incorrect)
Well yes - it would be.

1. those numbers are the final velocities
2. the magnitude of a vector is ##|\vec{v}|=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}##
 
Last edited:
which number do I use though? It keeps telling me its wrong no matter what I put