Magnitude of moment about axis (Space Truss)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
U1021981
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine the magnitude of the moment of the force F about the axis CA of the tripod
ABCD, if F = {40i -30j -100k}N.

Image attached.

2. The attempt at a solution

Based on a similar question I found in the textbook my method to solve this question:

Find UCA = rCA/rCA = (-2/√8)i + (2/√8)j

Find MCA = UCA.(rDC?? * F)

However, I am unsure if the finding the position vector rDC is correct?

Am I going about this the right way?

Please help.

Thanks,

Tim
 
Attachments
  • Q6.35.jpg
    Q6.35.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 944
Physics news on Phys.org
U1021981 said:

Homework Statement



Determine the magnitude of the moment of the force F about the axis CA of the tripod
ABCD, if F = {40i -30j -100k}N.

Image attached.

2. The attempt at a solution

Based on a similar question I found in the textbook my method to solve this question:

Find UCA = rCA/rCA = (-2/√8)i + (2/√8)j

Find MCA = UCA.(rDC?? * F)

However, I am unsure if the finding the position vector rDC is correct?

Am I going about this the right way?

Please help.

Thanks,

Tim
Here's your image:

attachment.php?attachmentid=50244&d=1346128205.jpg


First of all your rCA must be incorrect. Look closely. Point A is 1.5 m from the origin on the y-axis. Point C is 2 M from the origin on the x-axis.