Moment about a point in trusses

In summary: The author has included a moment about F in the calculation to account for the fact that the force is not applied at C, but at A. You might want to find the correct vertical reaction at A by looking at the entire truss and summing moments about B and report your result.
chetzread

Homework Statement

for moment about C, the author gave [-F_(FE)](5) +3.2(4) +6(5) = 0
i don't understand the working...Why there are moment 3.2(4) and also moment 6(5)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for moment 3.2(4) , it's centered at F, so ,it's not moment about C ,am i right?
for moment 6(5) , it's moment about A, am i right?

[/B]

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
The author has isolated the bot left section in a free body diagram. In order to determine the force in FE, you need to sum moments about C because summing about A or B wil not allow solution of the FE force because the force action line passes through those joints. The 6(5) moment you talk about is the moment of the horizontal reaction force at A about C.

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
The author has isolated the bot left section in a free body diagram. In order to determine the force in FE, you need to sum moments about C because summing about A or B wil not allow solution of the FE force because the force action line passes through those joints. The 6(5) moment you talk about is the moment of the horizontal reaction force at A about C.
how about moment 3.2(4) ? it's moment about F,am i right? why the author included it into calculation?

chetzread said:
how about moment 3.2(4) ? it's moment about F,am i right? why the author included it into calculation?
Well it is a moment about F, but it also is a moment about C, which is the point of interest . Remenber that moment is force times perpendicular distance from line of action of that force to the point of interest.

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
Well it is a moment about F, but it also is a moment about C, which is the point of interest . Remenber that moment is force times perpendicular distance from line of action of that force to the point of interest.
i still don't understand...
the perpendicular distance is the 4m(see red labelled part), it's span from F to A, so moment is about F, not C, am i right?

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 422
The perpendicular distance from the line of action of the 3.2 kN force to C is also 4 m. Just extend the 3.2 kN force arrow straight up and measure the perp distance from that line to C. This is one of several methods to calculate moments.

Likes chetzread
PhanthomJay said:
The perpendicular distance from the line of action of the 3.2 kN force to C is also 4 m. Just extend the 3.2 kN force arrow straight up and measure the perp distance from that line to C. This is one of several methods to calculate moments.
but,the force 3.2kN is being applied at A, not 4m away from C, how can we dothat?

why not?

PhanthomJay said:
why not?
The force is not applied at C, but at A

you are not understanding how to calculate moments using perpendicular distances from the force line of action.

Now I just noticed the reactions are incorrectly calculated by the author, based on the dimensions and loads given. . You might want to find the correct vertical reaction at A by looking at the entire truss and summing moments about B and report your result.

1. What is a moment about a point in trusses?

A moment about a point in trusses refers to the turning effect or rotational force that is exerted on a point due to the applied forces and geometry of the truss structure.

2. How is the moment about a point in trusses calculated?

The moment about a point in trusses can be calculated by taking the product of the applied force and the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. This is also known as the moment arm.

3. What is the significance of the moment about a point in trusses?

The moment about a point in trusses is important in determining the stability and strength of the truss structure. It helps engineers and designers understand how the forces are distributed and how the truss will behave under different loads.

4. How does the direction of the forces affect the moment about a point in trusses?

The direction of the forces can greatly impact the moment about a point in trusses. Forces acting perpendicular to the moment arm will create a larger moment, while forces acting parallel to the moment arm will have no effect on the moment.

5. Can the moment about a point in trusses be negative?

Yes, the moment about a point in trusses can be negative. This means that the turning effect is in the opposite direction of the applied forces. It is important to consider both positive and negative moments in the analysis of truss structures.