1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of the magnetic field produced by a wire

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A power line carries a current of 95 A along the tops of 8.5 m high poles. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field produced by this wire at the ground?

How does this compare with the Earth's field of about 1/2 G?

2. Relevant equations

B= uo[tex]\mu[/tex]/2[tex]\pi[/tex]I/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    4[tex]\pi[/tex]e-7/2[tex]\pi[/tex]95/8.5

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The formula is not appearing quite right on my screen, but you clearly have the right one. Is there any difficulty remaining?

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    Use Ampere's Law:
    [tex]\oint B \bullet dl = \mu_{0}I[/tex]

integrate around a closed circle of radius 8.5m centered around the wire. Since each infinitesimal point dl around the circle's circumfrence will have the same magnetic field passing through it (and because teh B field is perpendicular to the circle at all points) the entire wire has the same magnitude of magnetic field passing through it.

So the integral reduces to:

[tex]B\oint dl = \mu_{0}I[/tex]
    [tex]B * 2 * \pi * r= \mu_{0}I[/tex]
    [tex]B = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2 * \pi * r}[/tex]

where r is the radius of the circle 8.5M and I is the current in the wire 95A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook