Magnitude of torque in a circuit?

In summary, the torque in the circuit is determined by the magnetic dipole moment and the magnetic field, following the equation τ = μ x B. When calculating the torque for each segment of wire, the direction of the magnetic dipole moment is determined by the right-hand rule, with the thumb pointing in the direction of μ. The total torque in the circuit can be found by summing the individual torques for each segment of wire.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

What is the torque in the circuit in the attached document?

Homework Equations

τ = μ x B

μ = (I)(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached document for solution. I'm very confused by how to relate each torque together. I know that for each segment of wire, that there will be different torques and the total amount of torque in the circuit can be summed by the amount of torque in each segment of wire. I have one segment pointing in a downwards y direction, another that points in the -x direction, and the last that is perpendicular, so it is a triangular shaped current. For the perpendicular segment, I know that it can will have torques at the x and y-axis using sin and cosine of the angle formed. However, I'm not sure I recall how to sum torques in different directions or how to properly relate them together? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Magnitude of torque in a circuit.jpg
    Magnitude of torque in a circuit.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of the magnetic dipole moment [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex] is determined by using the right-hand rule. Curl the fingers in the direction of the current around the loop. The thumb points in the direction of [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex]. The torque on the loop, [itex]\vec{\tau}[/itex], is then determined by the vector product

[itex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{\mu}\times\vec{B}[/itex]

What is torque in a circuit?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force or moment of a circuit. It is a vector quantity that describes the tendency of an object to rotate about an axis.

How is torque calculated in a circuit?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to a circuit by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

What factors affect the magnitude of torque in a circuit?

The magnitude of torque in a circuit is affected by several factors including the strength of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

How is torque related to power in a circuit?

Torque and power are directly related in a circuit, as both are measures of energy or work. The greater the torque, the more power is required to maintain the rotational motion of the circuit.

Why is torque important in circuit design?

Torque is important in circuit design because it determines the amount of rotational force or work that can be produced by the circuit. This is crucial for applications such as motors, generators, and other rotating machinery.