Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maintaining a temperature of 70 degrees in a metal powder

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    I am making a bonded magnet and have the need to maintain a temperature of around 70 C in a magnetic powder compressed in a stainless steel mold for a period of about 2 hours, before cooling rapidly to room temperature. i was thinking about using some sort of infra red heating, but would like to see if you all could make some simpler suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

How about your oven? Or maybe even a toaster-oven if your rig is small enough.

4. Jul 3, 2009 #3
    i can't fit it into an oven, it has to be out in the open.

5. Jul 4, 2009 #4

Lok

Just boil something with that boiling point or close to it. Somehow alcohol comes to mind but it's 78'C.

An electric oven can be used to heat another chamber, a bigger one. use a thermocouple to get the temp right.

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I don't really know anything about this stuff, but can you use RF radiation to heat the mould directly?

7. Jul 4, 2009 #6
    ok i did some more reading and now find that if i can heat it to about 250C using SHF Infrared, i would not have to then hold that tempeature at all. what kind of lamp can i buy to emit IR of frequency between 3-30 GHz?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook