Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maintaining liquid level inside tank with inflow and outflow

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    I have a tank which is 1320Litres. The constant outflow from the tank is 800Litres/Hr. I want to maintain the level of the water in the tank at a stagnant level and I need to find water rate of inflow at which I can achieve this equilibrium.
    Any help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I'm not sure I understand the question.
    Obviously inflow must equal outflow to maintain equilibrium.

Or is there generation and/or consumption occurring? In which case:

accumulation = input + generation - output - consumption = 0

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3
    In what scenario will Generation and consumption apply?

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the tank used for? If you are washing clothes in it then some water will be consumed" when the wet clothes are removed. If you are condensing steam in the tank then water will be generated.

If this is just a simple tank of water as per your diagram then the answer is as Billy said.... To maintain the current level the incoming flow rate only has to match the outgoing so the answer is 800L/H.

Edit: It works like your bank account. To maintain the current balance you have to pay in the same as you take out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook