Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major Tropical Cyclone NE Australia

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cyclone Debbie is a major CAT 4 storm at the time it hit the Queensland coast in the Bowen area. It has sustained winds near the centre of 185 kilometres per hour with wind gusts to 260 km/hr have been recorded.
    The Bureau of Meteorology (Australian weather service) suggest the possibility that gusts could exceed 270 km/hr near the eye.
    High storm surges have already been recorded along the coast.
    The storm is expected to deteriorate quickly after it is over land and away from the warm tropical seas.

Satellite image at 1200 hrs AEST ( Australian Eastern Standard Time), 28th March 2017

170328 1200EST Cyclone Debbie FNQsm.jpg

170328 Debbie storm track.jpg

it's a bit more than 1500km north of my location

Dave

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I hope @Math Amateur is fine. He told he would be travelling in Queensland ... I hope he meant Brisbane.

4. Mar 27, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohhh and a weather radar that includes lightning data

170328 1200EST Cyclone Debbie FNQ radar.jpg

5. Apr 4, 2017 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Apr 5, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

fortunately ! .... we have had quite a bit of rain in my region recently, but nothing like what they have had up north because of the cyclone

... the cyclone has been gone for almost a week but there are still areas going under flood waters up north because it has taken time for all the water in the tributaries to make it down into the main river course and cause it to flood the main river through the city of Rockhampton is a one of those and by lunch time tomorrow it is expected to peak at approx. 9 metres above normal level

Dave

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  7. Apr 5, 2017 #6

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's hard for me to imagine that much rain, in such a short period of time, as that's approximately our annual average here: 915 mm

8. Apr 5, 2017 #7

RonL

Gold Member

It took some time for me to find a link, I was trying to get my head around how much rain fell compared to what happened near my location a few years ago....... 19" in six hours :wideeyed:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-rain-fell-in-marble-falls-texas-138/

The 900mm was spread out for 48 hours, but still "when you are flooded, you are flooded" :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted