1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majoring in Engineering Physics?

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    Is this generally recommended if one plans on goin to grad school in something a little more specific? What are the disadvantages of this degree versus a more specific engineering degree, like aerospace or electrical?

I want to become an engineer, but I'm not sure what kind yet, as I'm still in high school. But as college looms near, I feel that I should start preparations for something a little more specified. Would Engineering Physics be an advised start for me, as its generality covers most engineering disciplines?

Engineering disciplines that I will not touch though:
    -Bioengineering
    -Chemical engineering
    -Computer engineering/science

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would recommend comparing curricula of an EP program with those of EE, MechE, AeroE, and see where they overlap. Most science and engineering programs start with basic math and physics courses in the freshman year. Usually, one has technical electives, so one can always take additional physics or engineering courses depending on one's interests. By the end of the 2nd year, students are encouraged to decide a specialty in which to major.

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    I know in some universities engineering physics refers much more heavily to a program weighted in things like atomic physics and the engineering of nuclear facilities, rather than a general physics of engineering degree, whereas their material science type majors are much more in line with that sort of thing. Same sort of idea for chemical engineering. You might want to look at your university's courses in the last two years for engineering physics, and just begin with an engineering physics or other discipline. Like astronuc said, it's the end of the second year that counts. The first two are always more or less the same and are usually designed to give you a broad enough overview of what you might want to specialize in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?