Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make photons into some material?

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Do scientists have the means to directly make photons into some material ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2
    What do you mean by directly and what do you mean by making photons in a material?

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I mean, the raw, (material) used is photons, and the end result is something
    of substance.

5. Feb 11, 2006 #4
    Oh, I misunderstood you a bit. Well you can make a high energy photon to an electron-positron pair.

6. Feb 11, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks inha, i asked the question as i can find nothing about how our universe changed from pure energy to a mixture of energy matter, i may not have looked in the right places.

7. Feb 11, 2006 #6
    Maybe you should have asked this in the cosmology forum. The regulars there should know about early universe stuff.

8. Feb 11, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks again inha, but they get a bit nebulous in that forum, i thought this one would be more to the fact.

9. Feb 11, 2006 #8
    I don't know where you read that the universe was once pure energy? As far as I understand the earliest universe was composed of plasma, made up of free floating ions, which are particles of matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?