Making a DC motor speed question

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that could affect the speed of a homemade DC motor. These factors include the number of loops in the coil, the resistance of the wire, the back emf induced in the coil, the quality of the commutator, and the load on the motor. It is suggested that to properly characterize the motor's efficiency, it should be hooked up to a dyno and loaded.
I've made a simple DC motor like this image:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2864655414_234d5d3207.jpg

I'm just confused why initially when i increase the number of loops (about 15) it spins faster.But after this limit the speed of the rotor is no longer as fast as it was before.
Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
There could be several factors involved. One thing to think about is what happens to the current in the coil as you increase the number of loops N? Would you expect the current to remain constant, or would you expect the current to be roughly proportional to N, or perhaps inversely proportional to N? Here I'm just thinking of the effect due to the fact that the resistance of a wire increases with length.

Another factor is the "back emf" that is induced in the coil due to its rotation in the B field of the magnet. How does that depend on N? How does that depend on the rotation rate? This will also affect the amount of current.

Last edited:
As TSny said, there are a lot of factors.

If you made several motors all with same number of turns I wouldn't be surprised if they rotated at different speeds. For example the commutator is formed by scraping the enamel off the wire and it will be hard to ensure that's done identically on all motors. I suspect the phase (timing) only has to be slightly out to make a difference? Vibration may also effect how the commutation works. The load on the motor also isn't well controlled - it's mostly air resistance and friction. Changing the number of turns will change the air drag load on the motor and that may also be a factor.

Note the question Tsny makes about backemf. Ask yourself what would you expect to happen to the rpm of a motor if you replace the magnets on a motor with stronger ones. Would you expect the rpm to increase or decrease? Ditto changing the number of turns.

To properly characterise a motor the best way is to hook it up to a dyno, load it up and plot torque vs RPM so you can calulate the efficiency = power out/power in. It's possible to achieve efficiencies of >95% with some types of motor. Typically motor efficiency peaks at a particular rpm/load and falls off either side of that. Given your motor has nothing connected to the shaft (no useful mechanical load) how would you estimate the efficiency?

1. How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This is achieved through the interaction between the magnetic fields of a permanent magnet and an electromagnet, causing the motor to rotate.

2. How do you control the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be controlled by varying the amount of electrical current that is supplied to it. This can be done by changing the voltage or by using a device such as a transistor to regulate the current.

3. What factors affect the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor is affected by several factors, including the amount of voltage supplied, the strength of the magnetic fields, the type of load the motor is driving, and the overall design and construction of the motor.

4. What is the difference between brushed and brushless DC motors?

A brushed DC motor uses physical brushes to transfer electrical current to the electromagnet, while a brushless DC motor uses electronic commutation to switch the current. Brushless motors are generally more efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to brushed motors.

5. How do you calculate the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the motor's electrical resistance, then multiplying by the number of revolutions per minute (RPM) of the motor. This calculation can be affected by factors such as load and friction, so actual speed may differ from calculated speed.