Making a replacement Magnetic coil for my ride-on lawnmower

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage and wattage of the coil in a lawnmower, as well as the process of measuring and replacing the coil. The type and function of the coil is also mentioned, along with the make and model of the lawnmower. The conversation also includes a request for a photo and part number of the faulty solenoid, as well as a discussion about the material and size of the solenoid. There is also mention of potential alternative options for the solenoid.
Pretorius
TL;DR Summary
Hi guys I need to make an electro magnet replacement coil for my ride on mower a new one is $400 .
So voltage is 12v the coil is 80 watts

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
You will need to measure the wire diameter and measure the length and circumference of the winding.
You could re-use the old core after unwinding and counting the number of turns on the faulty coil.

It is cast in plastic so can't really get to it

What is the electro-magnet supposed to do on the mower ?
What is make and model of your mower ?

Please drag and drop a photo.jpg of the dead solenoid onto your next post.
Post the part number and any markings on the dead solenoid.

What material is the core of the solenoid made from, solid iron or laminated ?
We will need to know approximate size.

Maybe other mowers use a similar solenoid. What other mowers look like yours?

It is for the clutch to engage. On a john deere lx280 see attached

Attachments

• 20201029_164943.jpg
    20201029_164943.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 109
  • 20201201_172621(0).jpg
    20201201_172621(0).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20201201_161442.jpg
    20201201_161442.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 116
When energized does this coil engage or disengage the clutch? Is this a multiplate clutch ? The photos are not self explanatory to my eye.

Oh is this a magnetic clutch? I was thinking solenoid.

Maybe this is equivalent to the Warner TG2000. Price is lowest I found $130.
https://www.lawnmowerpartsworld.com/lawn-mower-parts/husqvarna-genuine-505287301-electric-pto-clutch-warner-5219-108-tg-2000/

Likes hutchphd

1. How do I determine the correct size and type of magnetic coil for my ride-on lawnmower?

The best way to determine the correct size and type of magnetic coil for your ride-on lawnmower is to consult the manufacturer's manual or contact the manufacturer directly. They will be able to provide you with the specific specifications and requirements for your particular model.

2. Can I use any type of magnetic coil for my ride-on lawnmower?

No, it is important to use the correct type of magnetic coil for your ride-on lawnmower. Using the wrong type can damage your lawnmower or cause it to malfunction. Always consult the manufacturer's manual or contact them for guidance.

3. How often should I replace the magnetic coil on my ride-on lawnmower?

The frequency of replacing the magnetic coil on your ride-on lawnmower will depend on the usage and maintenance of your lawnmower. It is recommended to check and replace the magnetic coil if needed during routine maintenance or if you notice any issues with the performance of your lawnmower.

4. Can I replace the magnetic coil on my ride-on lawnmower myself?

Replacing the magnetic coil on a ride-on lawnmower can be a complex task and requires knowledge of electrical systems. If you are not experienced or comfortable with this type of repair, it is best to consult a professional or take your lawnmower to a certified repair shop.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when replacing the magnetic coil on my ride-on lawnmower?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with electrical components. Make sure to disconnect the battery and wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents.