Making Self resonating coils for wireless electricity transfer How to do

In summary, the conversation discusses making self-resonating coils for wireless electricity transfer, specifically for a project to glow a 60W bulb at a distance of 2 meters with over 40% efficiency. The conversation mentions using a variable tuned circuit and adjusting it for maximum output, as well as using a small capacitor to fine-tune the resonance point. There is also a suggestion to look into yagi antenna design for directional control. However, the feasibility and safety of transmitting 60 watts of power through the air is also brought up.
mnnittronix
Making Self resonating coils for wireless electricity transfer ! How to do @@

Dear Friends ,
I would like to make the wireless electricity project as done by MIT team.i am bit confused about how to make the two different coils resonate at the same frequency ??

Please help me...

Thanks in advance//////////

Engineering news on Phys.org

Usually, you make one of the tuned circuits variable and adjust it for maximum output.

Do you have a circuit diagram of what the MIT team were using?

Here is an instructable i found for a slightly more simple approach:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Power-Transmission-Over-Short-Distances-U/"

Also, this website has some information on resonant coupling:

http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/technology/resonant-coupling.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

If you have two coils that are supposed to be identical, it is difficult to wind them to be exactly the same because you might miscount the number of turns.

So, you wind one of the coils with slightly too many turns and start removing turns until you get maximum output.

One refinement to this is to have a small capacitor and put it across the coil each time you test it. If the capacitor makes the received signal worse, you can remove another turn. If it makes the signal better, you have already passed the resonance point.

thanks for the replies... i need to make a system to glow a 60W bulb with a distance of 2meters and have more than 40 percent efficiency for this project..

can u please specify me what will be the dimension of coils and other circuit parameter... a rough idea if not exact...

thanks a lot...

I don't think you could do this.

A solenoid makes a very poor antenna and little of the power in it is radiated.

Of what is radiated, a small portion of this is intercepted by anything placed 2 M away.

I don't have any figures on this, but if I had to guess, I'd say you might get 1 % efficiency if you were lucky.

Tesla coils use such techniques, but at much closer spacing so they are magnetically coupled.

If you had two microwave dishes at that spacing and facing each other, you just might get a lamp to glow at the focal point of the receiving dish.

any more help ?

mnnittronix said:
thanks for the replies... i need to make a system to glow a 60W bulb with a distance of 2meters and have more than 40 percent efficiency for this project..

can u please specify me what will be the dimension of coils and other circuit parameter... a rough idea if not exact...

thanks a lot...

40% @ 2 meters! yikes! You would deffinately need some kind of directional control over where your em field would be propagated, try maybe looking at yagi antenna design? What you are trying to do is a pretty tall order, sorry I couldn't help more.

I'd be scared to have anything remotely close to transmitting 60 watts of power though the air..

1. What is the principle behind self-resonating coils for wireless electricity transfer?

The principle behind self-resonating coils is electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can induce an electrical current in a nearby conductor. In this case, the coils are designed to resonate at the same frequency, allowing for efficient transfer of electricity wirelessly.

2. How do I make a self-resonating coil for wireless electricity transfer?

To make a self-resonating coil, you will need to wind a coil of wire around a cylindrical core. The number of turns and the diameter of the core will determine the inductance of the coil, which should be tuned to the desired frequency for resonance. You may also need to add a capacitor in parallel to the coil to fine-tune the resonance.

3. What materials are needed to make a self-resonating coil?

The main materials needed to make a self-resonating coil are a cylindrical core, wire to wrap around the core, and a capacitor. The core can be made of a variety of materials such as iron, ferrite, or air. The wire should be a good conductor, such as copper or aluminum. The capacitor should have a high enough capacitance to fine-tune the resonance of the coil.

4. How do I test the performance of a self-resonating coil for wireless electricity transfer?

You can test the performance of a self-resonating coil by using a signal generator and an oscilloscope. Connect the signal generator to the coil and vary the frequency until the coil reaches its resonance point. The oscilloscope will show the voltage across the coil increasing, indicating successful resonance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with self-resonating coils?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when working with self-resonating coils. Since these coils can produce high voltages, it is important to handle them with caution. It is also recommended to work with a low power source and to use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses. Always follow proper electrical safety guidelines when working with any type of electricity.