Making "tabs" in LaTeX for problem sets

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter opus
  • Start date
opus
Gold Member

Summary:

Trying to replicate a document in LaTeX. Not sure how they got the tab or alignment format.

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm trying to recreate this document in LaTeX, but I'm not sure how they aligned "Factor" and "Solution" after 1.1.1.
Any ideas?
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 6.58.48 PM.png

Answers and Replies

andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It looks like the paras with numbers like 1.1.1 are part of an enumerated list, between \begin{enumerate} and \end{enumerate}.

In such a list, numbered items must be preceded by the code \item. The default is to number them as 1, 2, 3 but settings can be changed to show legal style numbering such as is shown above.

If you put a blank line after a numbered item and then start a new para, without starting it with \item, latex will align the left side of the new para with the left side of text of the numbered item above, as you see in the OP.

I think that's what they've done.

Note that a blank line in latex code signifies a new para. It doesn't put a blank line in the output text.

opus
Gold Member
Excellent thank you andrew! That was it exactly. I just did the enumerate and \item[1.1.1]

opus
Gold Member
Ok one more question if it's not too much trouble. This is with the matrices on the bottom. I've tried \~ as well as \sim to go where to the tilde is and neither works.
The former jumbles everything up and even makes a matrix disappear.
The latter looks good but it gets ride of the centering. Any ideas?
\
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.34.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.35.09 PM.png

opus
Gold Member
Actually just got it. Had to use math mode for some reason.