Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 crash

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    I think this is a very interesting story. Let's get some discussion on it!
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/10/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html

At the moment CNN is reporting

"Tickets linked to stolen passports for missing Malaysia flight were purchased by Iranian man, authorities say"

If it were terrorism, what could be the motive? Who has a beef with the Malaysians?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The plane was going to China. The Chinese government and the Uyghurs aren't exactly getting along - c.f. Kunming. And some of the Indonesian Islamist violence was led by Malaysians: the 2002 and 2005 Bali bombings, the 2003 and 2009 Djakarta Marriott bombings, and the 2004 Australian Embassy bombing.

I have no evidence - but there are plenty of suspects.

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I wouldn't be too sure that just because somebody travelled with fake passports, then this must have been terrorists.

Apart from the human tragedy involved , what I at present (not knowing if this was a malignant terrorist attack) find the most shocking is the revelation that, apparently, all the security measures are just sham, in particular, airport security do not even bother to check up passports against Interpol's lists of stolen passports.

I'm sure criminals all across the world knows this, and are happily flying around the globe on stolen passports ALL THE TIME.

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4
    I agree, there needs to be outrage. We all know airport security is just for show, but I still had faith in the passport side of things. In this day and age it shouldn't be difficult or costly to properly run passport checks.

6. Mar 10, 2014 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm sure there already exists a software that in the course of a few milliseconds would determine whether a particular passport was on the interpol alert list.

Nor should it be difficult to institute an obligatory measure for airport security to regularly send in to some central authority traffic data over registered numbers of passport-dependent passengers versus computer registered checks on how many passports were actually checked. It should be easy to make this a wholly automated process.

7. Mar 10, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What sense does the terrorist attack make when it is not obvious it is a terrorist attack?

8. Mar 10, 2014 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Timer of bomb having been set too early, prior to planned broadcast of terror message??

9. Mar 10, 2014 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Any weather gurus here?
    This is supposed to be water vapor of the area at the time.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/140307_coms1_wv_mh370_anim.gif
    click the link - image is too big...

You just don't mess with thunderstorms that get up to 35,000 feet..

Also in 2012 this happened to its wingtip.
    9m-mro.jpg
    courtesy http://airflightdisaster.com/index.php/9m-mro-fender-bender-long-before-flight-mh370/

One hopes [STRIKE]fiberglass[/STRIKE] repairs are done by a trustworthy shop.
    (oops - i forget which models are plastic, which aluminum)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. Mar 10, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Could be a test run?

11. Mar 10, 2014 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Anyhow, the latest I've heard is that they are going to check through seismic data that would contain traces IF there was an explosion up in the air. (Some sort of registerable shock wave would have to have been generated in that case???)

12. Mar 10, 2014 #11

Borek

No idea about air explosions. But I do remember explosion on Kursk was registered by some seismographic stations near you (well, in Scandinavia, could be Sweden or Finland).

13. Mar 10, 2014 #12

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

14. Mar 10, 2014 #13

Borek

Perhaps reports from Scandinavia were just the first that hit the news here.

15. Mar 10, 2014 #14

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member

Yes probably, NORSAR apparently have lot of 'equipment' up there, arildno probably knows more about this.

NOSAR_Kursk_sesmic_readings.png

16. Mar 10, 2014 #15

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sound travels through water with much less dispersion than through air - think whale songs, for example. There is also the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFAR_channel effect.

But there may be an equivalent mechanism in the upper atmosphere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mogul

17. Mar 10, 2014 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I dunno. It was a snippet I overheard on the public radio. Last I read, suspicion of terror is less marked now.

18. Mar 10, 2014 #17

mheslep

Gold Member

Exactly. Could have been, but the absence of some message at least after the fact argues against it.

19. Mar 10, 2014 #18

mheslep

Gold Member

That was TNT or a derivative, which doesn't require air and therefore can explode rapidly with a large shock wave. If explosive was smuggled on the plane it's unlikely it was more than a few kilos, and jet fuel requires an air mix thus burns relatively slowly without help.

20. Mar 10, 2014 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't shallow water (~100 meters) reduce the distance that signals from "black boxes" can travel?

21. Mar 10, 2014 #20
    How about signals before the aircraft disappeared?

No explosion, at least no big explosion.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/10/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140310

We seem to be getting a lot of "a source said" type of statements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted