Man swing from on a rope (velocity)

In summary, the conversation discusses a man swinging on a rope from a 15 m cliff, releasing at a 30° angle and landing on the ground. The question asks for the distance from his landing spot to the base of the cliff. The conversation also mentions using energy conservation and geometry laws to find the velocity at the release point, with the angle of velocity being 50° and the calculated velocity being 10.85 m/s.
AdsBerger

Homework Statement

A man standing on a 15 m high cliff tries to swing on a 12 m rope and let's go at 30° of the horizontal (travelling 150°). He let's go and travels through the air, to then land on the ground.

What is his distance from his landing spot to the base of the cliff?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to figure out the equation to find the height from the ground of which he let's go.
Not able to figure out the velocity when he let's go.
There is no mass for him, so those equations are irrelevant. If he is starting at a horizontal angle, then I am unsure of what equations to use to find his velocity.

Attachments

• Physics problem.png
    Physics problem.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,485
Physics news on Phys.org
The man has mass m. The actual value of m is irrelevant, you will see. What equations you are considering irrelevant?

The angle of the velocity is not 30°with respect to the horizontal. The man swings along a circle and the velocity is tangent to the circle, so perpendicular to the radius.ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking i will have to use the equation v = √{2gL[1-cos(a)]}
v = √{2(9.8)(12) [1-cos(a)]}
What would the angle be though?

To find the velocity ##V## one may use the energy conservation law:
$$
m \frac {v^2} {2} = m g Δh.
$$

So mass ##m## will cancel and the difference of heights ##Δh## you may find out using geometry laws.

Consider:
1. can you use energy conservation (k.e. + p.e. = constant) or does the rope exert a force on the man to add to or subtract from his total energy?

2. Once you know v at the release point you are all set. Right?

AdsBerger said:
I am thinking i will have to use the equation v = √{2gL[1-cos(a)]}
v = √{2(9.8)(12) [1-cos(a)]}
What would the angle be though?

Where is that equation from?

As for the angle of velocity look at the picture. The velocity is normal to the radius. What is the angle beta?

ehild

Attachments

• manrope.JPG
    manrope.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 533
The angle beta would be 50. i calculated his velocity to be 10.85 m/s

AdsBerger said:
The angle beta would be 50. i calculated his velocity to be 10.85 m/s

Why 50? ? It is a right-angled triangle (the yellow one) and one angle is 30°, beta is the other angle...

ehild

1. What is the physics behind a man swinging from a rope?

When a man swings from a rope, he is experiencing circular motion. This means that he is constantly changing direction as he swings back and forth. The force of gravity acts as the centripetal force, pulling the man towards the center of the circular motion. As the man swings, his velocity constantly changes, which causes him to accelerate and feel a force pulling him towards the center of the circle.

2. How does the length of the rope affect the man's swing?

The length of the rope affects the man's swing by changing the radius of the circular motion. The longer the rope, the larger the radius and the slower the swing. This is because the force of gravity is acting over a longer distance, resulting in a smaller centripetal force and slower velocity. Conversely, a shorter rope will result in a smaller radius, faster swing, and a larger centripetal force.

3. What role does the man's weight play in the swing?

The man's weight plays a crucial role in the swing because it determines the force of gravity acting on him. The greater the man's weight, the larger the force of gravity and the stronger the centripetal force will be. This means that a heavier man will have a faster swing compared to a lighter man, all other factors being equal.

4. Can the man control his speed while swinging on the rope?

Yes, the man can control his speed while swinging on the rope by changing the position of his body. To increase his speed, the man can tuck his body in and bring his legs and arms closer to his center of mass. This decreases the radius of the circular motion, resulting in a faster swing. To slow down, the man can extend his arms and legs, increasing the radius and slowing down his swing.

5. How does air resistance affect the man's swing?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the man's swing by slowing him down. The larger the surface area of the man's body, the more air resistance he will experience, which can decrease his velocity. This is why professional acrobats often wear tight-fitting clothing to reduce air resistance and increase their speed while swinging on a rope.