Manipulating Gravity: Is It Possible?

• B
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of manipulating gravity through the creation of artificial gravitational fields. This idea, though seemingly from science fiction, is being researched by one individual. The article linked in the conversation provides a paper discussing the potential for this manipulation, using electromagnetic fields. However, the effect is incredibly tiny and currently beyond our technology to measure. The conversation also touches on the idea that accumulated information may be equivalent to stored energy, but this is not supported by the experiment mentioned.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I do not have a paper to quote but this article claims that gravity can be manipulated., is this pie in the sky or is gravity manipulation a possibility?

Creating artificial gravitational fields that humans can manipulate and observe may seem like an idea from science fiction, but one researcher is now looking to turn the concept into a reality.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-using-current-technology.html#ixzz4MDOXczha

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the original paper "How current loops and solenoids curve spacetime": https://arxiv.org/abs/1504.00333
I hope the date on which it was submitted (1st April) is not significant. In any case, it seems to be an extraordinarily tiny effect.

wild. I'd love to hear the verdict.
I know this is sci-fi land but what if knowing exactly what to do with those EM fields reduced the amount energy required?
And if perhaps all of human history has been about accumulating the exact information needed - isn't that equivalent to a lot of stored energy?

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2010/nov/19/information-converted-to-energy

This has been the argument I keep succumbing to for why maybe it's not impossible.

Jonathan Scott said:
I hope the date on which it was submitted (1st April) is not significant.
Could be. It would be a direct detection of the gravitational influence of electromagnetic fields. Assuming the calculations are done right, the effect is 14 orders of magnitude weaker than the gravitational wave signal LIGO saw. No, we won't detect it, we don't have the technology to measure effects that tiny.

Calling that "artificial gravity", as done by dailymail, is just nonsense. It is as artificial as the gravity of a rock next to me: I can move it and influence the gravitational field that way. Great. Moving that rock has a larger effect than the one discussed in the preprint.

Likes PeterDonis and berkeman
Hm, the paper doesn't look like an april fool's day joke (at least not at the first glance :-)). To measure the influence on em. fields seems to be out of reach given the tinyness of the effect, but according to GR it should be there.

Jimster41 said:
And if perhaps all of human history has been about accumulating the exact information needed - isn't that equivalent to a lot of stored energy?

No. The experiment described in the article you link to does not show that stored information is equivalent to stored energy. It just shows that, by using information, you can manipulate objects using energy from the environment (by taking advantage of random fluctuations), instead of having to supply it yourself. But the information itself isn't energy and isn't equivalent to it.

1. Is it possible to manipulate gravity?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate gravity in a way that is feasible or practical. While there have been some theoretical proposals and experiments, none have been successful in altering the strength or direction of gravity.

2. Can we create anti-gravity or anti-gravitational forces?

Anti-gravity, or the ability to create a force that repels gravity, is a popular concept in science fiction. However, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that anti-gravity is possible. The current understanding of gravity is based on the theory of general relativity, which does not allow for the existence of anti-gravitational forces.

3. What are some proposed methods for manipulating gravity?

Some proposed methods for manipulating gravity include using large masses to create gravitational lenses, altering the geometry of space-time, and creating negative energy. However, these methods are purely theoretical and have not been successfully implemented.

4. Can gravity be controlled or harnessed for practical purposes?

While we cannot manipulate gravity, we can use our understanding of it to develop technologies that harness its effects. For example, we use gravity to generate power through hydroelectric dams and to keep objects in orbit around the Earth.

5. What are the potential implications of manipulating gravity?

If we were able to manipulate gravity, it would have enormous implications for space travel, energy production, and our understanding of the universe. However, it is currently not within our technological capabilities, and any potential consequences are purely speculative.