Manufacturing Help -- Need a highly viscous material

In summary, Gear oil is a viscous liquid that is more viscous than motor oil. It is not sure how it measures against honey, but I recall the thick oil additives (STP, 'Miracle Oil') were honey-like. This chart shows gear oils from 70W to 250W, compared to typical 30W motor oil. An air flow to slow them down may be a solution. Alternatively, a layer of soft free floating beads or balls may be used to collect the parts. Exit onto a moving conveyor belt may be a solution.
Enrique Morales
First time post, I appreciate any advice!

I own a small manufacturing company that makes RF connectors and adapters. Our automated machinery makes the connector bodies out of brass, and many of the parts we make have fairly delicate threads or features that are easily damaged when one part exits the machine and lands on another part via the machine's exit "chute".

We often run our machines "lights out", so I'm hoping to find an inexpensive, and non-toxic highly viscous gel or liquid that we can use to drop parts into as they exit a machine. Ideally, we would place this viscous liquid in a 5 gallon bucket to allow for part accumulation yet preventing parts from dropping directly onto each other or hitting each other with force.

We've tried a cornstarch and water mixture and that provided the viscosity we want, but the mixture began to smell badly after a day or two and frankly was a mess to clean off of the parts when they dropped into the 5 gallon bucket. I've seen 5 gallon buckets of silicone liquid that appears to be viable solution, but those are sold for $200 or more, and I would need hundreds of gallons per year.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a relatively low cost industrial solution, or a home made option? For reference, the viscosity of honey may be too high, probably looking for something slightly less viscous than honey, but more viscous than motor oil. End use is at room temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
probably looking for something slightly less viscous than honey, but more viscous than motor oil. End use is at room temperature.

Gear oil? It is more viscous than motor oil. Not sure how it measures against honey, but I recall the thick oil additives (STP, 'Miracle Oil') were honey-like.

This chart shows gear oils from 70W to 250W, compared to typical 30W motor oil.

http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-tables/substances/sae-viscosity-grades/

I can't visualize your set up, but how about an air flow to slow them down? No clean up.

Maybe you could use clean water in the 5 gallon bucket, but cover the surface with a layer of soft free floating beads or balls. The components will hit the layer of soft balls first, roll through the layer, then sink at a controlled rate to the collect at the bottom.

Likes Nidum
Exit onto a moving conveyor belt?

Likes rbelli1
Enrique Morales said:
First time post, I appreciate any advice!

I own a small manufacturing company that makes RF connectors and adapters. Our automated machinery makes the connector bodies out of brass, and many of the parts we make have fairly delicate threads or features that are easily damaged when one part exits the machine and lands on another part via the machine's exit "chute".

We often run our machines "lights out", so I'm hoping to find an inexpensive, and non-toxic highly viscous gel or liquid that we can use to drop parts into as they exit a machine. Ideally, we would place this viscous liquid in a 5 gallon bucket to allow for part accumulation yet preventing parts from dropping directly onto each other or hitting each other with force.

We've tried a cornstarch and water mixture and that provided the viscosity we want, but the mixture began to smell badly after a day or two and frankly was a mess to clean off of the parts when they dropped into the 5 gallon bucket. I've seen 5 gallon buckets of silicone liquid that appears to be viable solution, but those are sold for $200 or more, and I would need hundreds of gallons per year.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a relatively low cost industrial solution, or a home made option? For reference, the viscosity of honey may be too high, probably looking for something slightly less viscous than honey, but more viscous than motor oil. End use is at room temperature.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is the final packaging like? Maybe just invest in combining this fabrication process with the final packaging step.

glycerin?

Lanolin

Viscosity adjusted by solution with hydrocarbons

metamusal-- and mineral oil - any source of vegin -pectin- biodegreatable!

1. What is the definition of a highly viscous material?

A highly viscous material is a substance that has a thick, sticky consistency and resists flowing easily. This is typically measured by its resistance to deformation or shearing stress, and is often referred to as its viscosity.

2. What types of industries commonly use highly viscous materials in manufacturing?

Industries that commonly use highly viscous materials in manufacturing include cosmetics, food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, adhesives, and oil and gas. These materials are often used in products that require a thick or sticky consistency, such as lotions, sauces, medicines, and adhesives.

3. What are some common methods for manufacturing highly viscous materials?

The most common methods for manufacturing highly viscous materials include mixing, blending, compounding, and extrusion. These methods involve combining ingredients or processing them through machinery to create the desired consistency and properties of the material.

4. What are some challenges associated with manufacturing highly viscous materials?

Some challenges associated with manufacturing highly viscous materials include ensuring consistent quality and viscosity, preventing separation or settling of ingredients, and managing the flow and handling of the material during production. These challenges can be addressed through careful formulation and process control.

5. How can I find a manufacturer or supplier for a specific highly viscous material?

You can find a manufacturer or supplier for a specific highly viscous material by conducting research online, contacting trade associations or industry organizations, attending trade shows or conferences, and networking with other professionals in your industry. It may also be helpful to consult with a materials expert or work with a specialized consultant to find the best supplier for your needs.