Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Many-worlds, Schroedinger, Heisenberg pictures

1. Jul 4, 2014 #1

atyy

Science Advisor

I've usually heard the many-worlds interpretation described in the Schroedinger picture, in which the wave function evolves unitarily. Does a Heisenberg picture exist for many-worlds, or is the Schroedinger picture more fundamental in that interpretation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

In the many-world interpretation of non-relativistic QM, the Schrodinger picture is certainly more fundamental than the Heisenberg one.
    But this is not really so in canonical quantum gravity, where the two pictures are identical.

4. Jul 4, 2014 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Because there is no time evolution in canonical quantum gravity (time evolution is a gauge transformation)?

5. Jul 4, 2014 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes.

6. Jul 4, 2014 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

How about relativistic QFT? Or do you think MWI doesn't satisfactorily address that, because MWI seems to pick a preferred foliation?

Also, how about canonical quantum gravity in AdS? I think canonical quantum gravity in AdS has time evolution (I think the Hamiltonian is not zero because of the AdS boundary condition, which is one of the reasons AdS/CFT is possible, since the bulk inherits its time evolution from the boundary CFT).

7. Jul 5, 2014 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

In relativistic QFT Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures are different, so Schrodinger picture is the preferred one for MWI.

The question of relativistic covariance is a separate issue. It can be made covariant by using many-time formalism.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook