Happy Pi Day! Country Apple Pie is Yum!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa was Country apple for the author. They thought it was about 3.14159265358979 when they saw the title, but when they read the content they realized it was pi day. They like strawberry pi's better than strawberry pies. Lastly, they think that next year pi day will be 3/14/15. People are predicting earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates, and as a result, they want to start a moronic group to predict those things.
Now I'm hungry. What is your favorite pie? Country apple for me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3-berry pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It had blueberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. If I could lick the plate and not embarrass myself, I would have!

Zz.

I thought it was about 3.14159265358979... when I saw the title.

PhysicoRaj said:
I thought it was about 3.14159265358979... when I saw the title.

It is, but Greg is hungry, and when he sees "pi", he immediately thinks of "pie".

Besides, pie is tastier than pi.

Zz.

I like strawberry pi's than strawberry pies.

Gasp- it's pi day!

*dork swoon*

:biggrin: apple pi anyone?

Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime.

We better savor it...the pie that is :biggrin:. I don't know what to do about pi...I'll find some circles and calculate their geometric properties :uhh:

Yanick said:
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime.

Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.

Yanick said:
Hey did anyone realize that next year pi day will be 3/14/15...the first 5 digits of pi! Then the year after it will be the value of pi rounded to the 5th decimal place (3/14/16). I think that's it after that one, its like one of those rare astronomical events that happens once in a lifetime

ZapperZ said:
Are there any moronic groups out there predicting some earth-destroying, human-kind-wiping catastrophes for those dates? If there aren't any, I'd like to start one.

Zz.
:rofl:

Isn't Pi Day on April 31 (31/4) in Europe?

Oh wait, there's no April 31. :uhh:

Greg Bernhardt said:
What is your favorite pie?

Pizza! :!)

I went to my favorite pizza place yesterday... should have waited until today.

... the hapPIest day of the year.

I remember the first couple of word-length mnemonics I learned about pi:
"How I wish I could calculate pi"
"How I like a drink, alcoholic of course,
after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics"

Daj o pani, o boska Mnemozyno, pi liczbę, którą też zowią ludolfiną

jtbell said:
Pizza! :!)

There's a pizza place that recently opened for business nearby called "Pieology." With such a cool name you would think that they would throw a [itex] \pi [/itex] into their logo, or at least have a pizza volume diagram* in the restaurant somewhere. But alas, no; they don't seem to acknowledge [itex] \pi [/itex] at all. :cry:

*(If you have a pizza of radius z, and depth a, the volume of the pizza is πz2a, or expressing it a different way,
V = pi·zz·a.)

ZapperZ said:
The 3-berry pie at the Village Inn Restaurant in Iowa City, Iowa. It had blueberry, raspberry, and boysenberry. If I could lick the plate and not embarrass myself, I would have!

Zz.

Ex - Village Inn Restaurant

:cry:

dlgoff said:

What not another one? My wife and I used to go to a Village Inn that recently closed. I don't think that they ever won over the younger generation. Every time my son went there to eat with us he would say: "this is like eating in a nursing home."

I did noticed that he always finished his piece of French silk pie, however.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:

Zz.

"It has been heard", "people are saying", "the word going around is", On those dates a cataclysmic moon size pie in the sky will appear.

Note that I included three sources used frequently on Fox news so it must be true.:devil:

dlgoff said:

That is not even in the same state!

The one that I went to about 3 weeks ago, I can assure you, is open for business and thriving.

Zz.

edward said:
"It has been heard", "people are saying", "the word going around is", On those dates a cataclysmic moon size pie in the sky will appear.

Note that I included three sources used frequently on Fox news so it must be true.:devil:

Then that is what we should use to spread the news about the calamity that will fall on us next year on pi day! As simple as that! We start with something that says that there's impending forecast that day where it will be overcast, with a chance of pi in the sky.

Zz.

collinsmark said:
There's a pizza place that recently opened for business nearby called "Pieology." With such a cool name you would think that they would throw a [itex] \pi [/itex] into their logo, or at least have a pizza volume diagram* in the restaurant somewhere. But alas, no; they don't seem to acknowledge [itex] \pi [/itex] at all. :cry:

There's a chain of pizzerias in the St. Louis area that has pi in their name and logo, at least:

Pi Pizzeria

I'll have to try to remember to check it out if I ever I drive through that area again.

We have some clever young engineers here at work. Our project group received this e-mail just before 2PM from three of them:

3.14 1:59. Pie & Ice cream in the Pantry by the printer. Enjoy.

:biggrin:

berkeman said:
We have some clever young engineers here at work. Our project group received this e-mail just before 2PM from three of them:

3.14 1:59. Pie & Ice cream in the Pantry by the printer. Enjoy.

I guess that next year's party will be in the morning at 3/14/15 9:26:53?

I really need to put that on my calendar.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

That's the date when the solar solar system becomes a perfect circle and the gravity does some scientific nonsense and the universe implodes.

And if nothing happens, I can just say I was mistaken, and that it actually happens on 3/14/159.

leroyjenkens said:
And if nothing happens, I can just say I was mistaken, and that it actually happens on 3/14/159.

jtbell said:
Isn't Pi Day on April 31 (31/4) in Europe?

Oh wait, there's no April 31. :uhh:

We have the pi month and its the only one in the century.
- Enigman
(Date: 15th pi)

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Then that is what we should use to spread the news about the calamity that will fall on us next year on pi day! As simple as that! We start with something that says that there's impending forecast that day where it will be overcast, with a chance of pi in the sky.

Zz.

It falls on 21st pi.
:devil:

I did noticed that he always finished his piece of French silk pie, however.
They have a peanut butter chocolate pie that tastes so good I would give up eating peanut butter chocolate pie forever just to eat peanut butter chocolate pie for the rest of my life.
That is not even in the same state!

The one that I went to about 3 weeks ago, I can assure you, is open for business and thriving.
You mean Iowa street and Iowa city aren't the same thing?

1. What is Pi Day?

Pi Day is a celebration of the mathematical constant pi (π), which is approximately 3.14. It is observed on March 14th (3/14) in honor of the first three digits of pi.

2. Why is apple pie associated with Pi Day?

Apple pie is often associated with Pi Day because the numerical value of pi is commonly rounded to 3.14, which is similar to the date format of March 14th (3/14). Additionally, the circular shape of a pie is reminiscent of the shape of the pi symbol.

3. How is Pi Day celebrated?

Pi Day is celebrated in various ways, including eating pie (especially apple pie), participating in pi-related activities and games, and attending pi-themed events and lectures. Some people also use the day as an opportunity to learn more about the history and significance of pi.

4. Is Pi Day an official holiday?

No, Pi Day is not an official holiday recognized by governments or organizations. However, it is widely celebrated and recognized by math enthusiasts and educators around the world.

5. What is the significance of pi in mathematics?

Pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, and its decimal representation never ends or repeats. Pi is used in various mathematical equations and has applications in geometry, trigonometry, and other branches of mathematics and science.