Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marcus has passed on

1. May 6, 2016 #21
    Hi everyone -- Marcus's son here. Thank you all for the love and warmth here in this thread.

To answer the question about "what happened", it was esophagus cancer -- we found out about it in September, but by that point it was advanced to a level where not much could be done. We tried anyway -- chemo, radiation, etc. But, well...

I know he cared a whole lot about all of you guys. When I would see him or talk to him on the phone, he would often update me on what was going on here on PF, and how he was starting a poll or posting a summary of various papers or whatever else he would do on a regular basis. I empathized with how he felt about PF, since my generation grew up with the internet and I thought it was wonderful to see him bonding as deeply with you guys as I've bonded with the online communities I'm part of.

You guys rock. Hugs to you all.

2. May 6, 2016 #22
    That's sad to hear. Your father sounds like a good man. RIP Marcus

3. May 6, 2016 #23
    I always found Marcus's posts very helpful. Even though I never got to know him personally, I feel as thought I have lost a friend.

4. May 6, 2016 #24
    Oh dear. I didn't know.
    Good bye Marcus. You've helped me so much in this forum. May you find peace on you next journey.

5. May 6, 2016 #25
    Thank you very much for the update @tamwuff, my deepest condolences.

This makes me tear up. Dissolves the disconnect we suffer from being an internet community. Shows how much real life impact we really have on each other that we don't even know about.

6. May 6, 2016 #26
    Dear @tamwuff
    My deepest condolence for you. Marcus had helped not just this forum, but many members here learning science and increase their knowledge and their curiosity.
    And everytime many other and I learn science and read Marcus' post, Marcus' spirit will still alive. Now and ever.

7. May 6, 2016 #27

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My deepest sympathies for you and your family. Your father was an extraordinary man. You have a lot to be proud of.

8. May 6, 2016 #28

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm so sad hearing this :oldcry:. He was a legend here.

My sympathies, tamwuff, and condolences to you and all Marcus's loved ones.

9. May 6, 2016 #29

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

That neither of us is an island never rang truer than today. We've lost the perfect educator, as willing to share his knowledge as he was selfless.

10. May 6, 2016 #30

atyy

Science Advisor

Thank tamwuff for the update. My condolences to you and your family. I am very glad to have known marcus through PF.

BTW, marcus, if by any chance you are getting to ask God about whether LQG is right, do drop us a hint. Though of course not sure whether that answer would necessarily be right (going by the famous story with Pauli) http://math.bu.edu/people/jeffs/joke.html :oldtongue:

11. May 7, 2016 #31

ShayanJ

Gold Member

This is sad...This is shocking!:cry::cry::cry:
    I've always imagined him as an enthusiastic kid who is amazed with all the cool toys he's playing with. When you read his scientific posts, you really could feel all the excitement and amazement he had about science. He was great! This is a big loss!:cry::cry::cry:

I don't know what else to say.

R.I.P. dear Marcus!

12. May 7, 2016 #32

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I cannot imagine PF in general or BTSM in particular without Marcus. He and bcrowell were my first PF friends, big part of what kept me here. Nothing I can say would do justice to the loss :oldcry::oldcry::oldcry::oldcry:

13. May 7, 2016 #33
    Condolences.

14. May 7, 2016 #34

jedishrfu

I am sad that I never got to interact with him since my understanding of relativity is so weak.

@tamwuff you lost a great friend and an even greater dad. My heart goes out to you. Take care.

15. May 7, 2016 #35

haushofer

Science Advisor

Sad to hear Marcus passed away. I think he was an example of friendliness and willingness to explain. @ Tamwuff: wish you all the strength you need for the time to come!

16. May 7, 2016 #36

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very sad to hear about this. Although we did not cross paths in the forums many times, it was always clear that he was a role model and incredibly valuable to the forum in terms of both knowledge and spirit. My strongest condolences.

17. May 7, 2016 #37

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a loss - a truly inquisitive mind - a great loss to PF and to me personally, tamwuff please pass on all our condolences to your family.

Garth

18. May 7, 2016 #38

Dale

My condolences and sympathy. Thank you for letting us know. My heart goes out to you and your family.

19. May 7, 2016 #39

bapowell

Science Advisor

Patient, friendly, modest, and overflowing with knowledge. I'm very sad to hear this. We'll miss you Marcus.

20. May 7, 2016 #40

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

My sincere condolences . I really learned a lot from Marcus posts and I think that a great lot of people here have learned from his very well informed and accurate answers and posts. May he rest in peace.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted