1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal distribution, double integral clarification

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(X,Y) is uniformly distributed over the area

T = {(x,y): 0 < x < 2, -x < 2y < 0}

Find the marginal probability functions ie [itex]f_{x}(x)[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}(y)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

The thing I'm having trouble with is that y depends on x. Am I supposed to rewrite the boundaries for each marginal function? It feels like I'm doing things a roundabout way!

F(x,y) = [itex]\int\int dx dy[/itex]

I.e. to find f(y):

-x < 2y < 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x > -2y > 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] -2y < x < 2

Which means I can integrate with respect to x from -2y to 2, leaving me with f(y) = 2 + 2y

And if I instead want to find f(x):

-x < 2y < 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] -(1/2)x < y < 0

Which means I integrate with respect to y from -(1/2)x to 0, leaving me with f(x) = (1/2)x.

Again, it feels pretty roundabout and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2
    Also, if I wanted to find E(X) and E(Y) here after finding f(x) and f(y), what interval should I integrate x*f(x) over, given that they are bounded by each other?

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your method of extracting f(x) and f(y) looks fine, and gets the right answers.
    For E(X), just integrate xf(x) over the full range of x, etc.

5. Apr 30, 2013 #4
    Thanks Haruspex!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted