Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8

In summary, the conversation discusses using the methods of a specific section to find the first few terms and general term of the Maclaurin series for a given function. It also mentions checking the results using a computer and plotting the function and its approximations. There is a discrepancy between the solution obtained and the one given in the solution manual, which was caused by a mistaken assumption and not solving for a variable before substitution.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Using the methods of this section:
(a) Find the first few terms of the Maclaurin series for each of the following functions.
(b) Find the general term and write the series in summation form.
(c) Check your results in (a) by computer.
(d) Use a computer to plot the function and several approximating partial sums of the
series.

#8 [tex] \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 1-{ x }^{ 2 } } } [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] (1+x)^{P}=\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \binom {P} {n}} x^n [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got: [tex] \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 1-{ x }^{ 2 } } }=\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \binom {-1/2} {n}} (1-x^{2})^{n} [/tex]

Solution manual's solution is: [tex] \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 1-{ x }^{ 2 } } }=\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \binom {-1/2} {n}} (-x^{2})^{n} [/tex]

What went wrong?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
I see my mistake. I made a bad assumption when I subbed in 1+x^2=t+1. I needed to solve for t before I subbed it back in.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

What is the "Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8"?

"Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8" is a specific problem from the textbook "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. It is a math problem that requires application of various mathematical concepts and techniques to solve.

What is the purpose of "Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8"?

The purpose of this problem is to test the reader's understanding and application of mathematical methods and techniques for solving problems in the physical sciences. It also serves as a practice exercise to improve problem-solving skills.

Is "Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8" a difficult problem?

Difficulty is subjective, but this problem is considered to be a moderately challenging one. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as critical thinking skills to solve.

What mathematical concepts are needed to solve "Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8"?

To solve this problem, one needs to have a good grasp of basic algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. In addition, knowledge of vector operations and differential equations may also be helpful.

Are there any tips for solving "Mary Boas: Mathematical Methods Problem 1.13.8"?

Some tips for solving this problem include carefully reading and understanding the given problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, and using relevant mathematical formulas and techniques. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or make a list of given information to organize your thoughts.