Not understanding textbook solution: Mary Boas mathematical methods

In summary, the Maclaurin series for 1/√(1 + x) can be written in ∑ form using the binomial coefficient notation as {-1/2 \choose n} = \frac { { (-1) }^{ n }(2n-1)! }{ (2n)! }. This formula can be derived by writing out the formula for {-1/2 \choose n} and using the double factorial notation.
kq6up

Homework Statement

4. Write the Maclaurin series for 1/√(1 + x) in ∑ form using the binomial coefficient
notation. Then find a formula for the binomial coefficients in terms of n as we did
in Example 2 above.

Homework Equations

[tex] { \left( 1+x \right) }^{ P }=\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \left( \underset { n }{ P } \right) } { x }^{ n } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got, [tex] \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { (1+x) } } =\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \left( \underset { n }{ -1/2 } \right) } { x }^{ n } [/tex]

This is the book's solution [tex] \left( \overset { -1/2 }{ n } \right) =\frac { { (-1) }^{ n }(2n-1)! }{ (2n)! } [/tex] I am not understanding the whole double factorial.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They want you to write it out using the binomial coefficients. n!=1*3*5*...*n where n is odd.

Likes 1 person
kq6up said:

This is the book's solution [tex] \left( \overset { -1/2 }{ n } \right)[/tex]

Use the \binom{}{} tex command for binomial coefficients:$$
\binom{-\frac 1 2}{n}$$

Likes 1 person
kq6up said:

Homework Statement

4. Write the Maclaurin series for 1/√(1 + x) in ∑ form using the binomial coefficient
notation. Then find a formula for the binomial coefficients in terms of n as we did
in Example 2 above.

Homework Equations

[tex] { \left( 1+x \right) }^{ P }=\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \left( \underset { n }{ P } \right) } { x }^{ n } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got, [tex] \frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { (1+x) } } =\sum _{ n=0 }^{ \infty }{ \left( \underset { n }{ -1/2 } \right) } { x }^{ n } [/tex]

This is the book's solution [tex] \left( \overset { -1/2 }{ n } \right) =\frac { { (-1) }^{ n }(2n-1)! }{ (2n)! } [/tex] I am not understanding the whole double factorial.

Write out the formula for ##{-1/2 \choose n}##. For example,
[tex]{-1/2 \choose 0} = 1 \\
{-1/2 \choose 1} = -1/2 \\
{-1/2 \choose 2} = (-1/2)(-1/2 \:-1)/2! = \frac{1 \cdot 3}{2^2 \, 2!} [/tex]
etc.

The notation ##x!## means ##x(x-2)(x-4) \cdots ##, ending at a final factor of 2 or 1 according as x is even or odd.

Likes 1 person
Ah, now I see it [tex] (2k-1)! = \prod_{i=1}^k (2i-1) [/tex]

I have never seen that notation before. Thanks for the tip. Also, thanks for the LaTeX tip.

Regards,
Chris Maness

1. What is the purpose of the textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods?

The textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods serve as a guide for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems. They provide step-by-step explanations and examples to help students grasp the concepts and techniques presented in the textbook.

2. Why do some students struggle to understand the textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods?

Some students may struggle to understand the textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods because they may lack the necessary background knowledge or mathematical skills. It is also possible that the solutions may not be explained in a way that is easily understandable for certain individuals.

3. How can I use the textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods effectively?

To use the textbook solutions effectively, it is important to first read and understand the corresponding section in the textbook. Then, carefully follow the steps and explanations in the solutions. It can also be helpful to practice solving similar problems on your own and compare your solutions to the textbook solutions.

4. Are the textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods always correct?

The textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods are typically checked and reviewed by the author and/or other experts in the field, so they are generally reliable. However, it is always important to double check your work and make sure you understand the reasoning behind each step in the solution.

5. Can I rely solely on the textbook solutions in Mary Boas' mathematical methods to study for exams?

While the textbook solutions can be a helpful study tool, it is not recommended to solely rely on them for exam preparation. It is important to also practice solving problems on your own and ensure that you fully understand the concepts and techniques rather than just memorizing the solutions.