In summary, @BvU asks you to calculate the potential energy of a sphere with a uniformly positive charge distribution. You can do this by using the relation U=k(3/5)((Q^2)/R). This will give you a mass equivalent.
BvU said:
You did not. But it's not your exercise !

Well no, but I thought you had endorsed the statement "Can the mass difference between protons and neutrons be due to the electrical potential energy of the protons?" as being plausible by consideration of ##E=mc^2##. I had pointed out in #16 that there was no need to perform the calculation, since we already know the electric potential energy would increase, rather than decrease, the mass! :smile:

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
You and I already knew. OP was supposed to discover ##-##1.3 MeV/c2 mass difference can not be explained with a ##+##1 MeV/c2 from electrostatic energy

Likes etotheipi
Whoops... now I realized you had said "can you answer... affirmatively", instead of saying 'affirmative' to the quote. Please forgive my naivety, I'm not good at interpreting subtext :wink:

I came back.:smile: I still have a knot in understanding this exercise. :frown:
Now the values are almost equal. That is, the potential difference is equal to the mass difference. What exactly does this mean? That is, how do you analyze this?

Adams2020 said:
I came back.:smile: I still have a knot in understanding this exercise. :frown:
No problem
Now the values are almost equal.
What about the sign ?
That is, the potential difference is equal to the mass difference.
What about the sign ?
What exactly does this mean? That is, how do you analyze this?
Re-read the thread at leisure :smile:
The notion that mass and energy are "interchangeable" is not easy to grasp (It took an Einstein to find out :wink: )

BvU said:
What about the sign ?
Yes. I did not pay attention to it. 😕 I thought the exercise was solved!☺
BvU said:
The notion that mass and energy are "interchangeable" is not easy to grasp (It took an Einstein to find out :wink: )
👍🙃🙂

<h2>What is mass difference due to electrical potential energy?</h2><p>Mass difference due to electrical potential energy refers to the change in mass of a system when it gains or loses electrical potential energy. This change in mass is a result of the conversion of electrical potential energy into mass, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.</p><h2>How does electrical potential energy affect mass?</h2><p>Electrical potential energy affects mass by converting into mass, according to Einstein's equation E=mc^2. This means that when a system gains or loses electrical potential energy, there will be a corresponding change in its mass.</p><h2>What is the relationship between electrical potential energy and mass?</h2><p>The relationship between electrical potential energy and mass is described by Einstein's equation E=mc^2, which states that a change in energy (E) will result in a change in mass (m). In other words, as electrical potential energy is gained or lost, there will be a corresponding change in mass.</p><h2>Can mass be created or destroyed through electrical potential energy?</h2><p>No, mass cannot be created or destroyed through electrical potential energy. Instead, electrical potential energy is converted into mass, meaning that the total mass of a system will remain constant.</p><h2>How is mass difference due to electrical potential energy measured?</h2><p>Mass difference due to electrical potential energy can be measured using a variety of methods, such as mass spectrometry or nuclear reactions. These techniques allow for the precise measurement of changes in mass due to changes in electrical potential energy.</p>

What is mass difference due to electrical potential energy?

Mass difference due to electrical potential energy refers to the change in mass of a system when it gains or loses electrical potential energy. This change in mass is a result of the conversion of electrical potential energy into mass, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

How does electrical potential energy affect mass?

Electrical potential energy affects mass by converting into mass, according to Einstein's equation E=mc^2. This means that when a system gains or loses electrical potential energy, there will be a corresponding change in its mass.

What is the relationship between electrical potential energy and mass?

The relationship between electrical potential energy and mass is described by Einstein's equation E=mc^2, which states that a change in energy (E) will result in a change in mass (m). In other words, as electrical potential energy is gained or lost, there will be a corresponding change in mass.

Can mass be created or destroyed through electrical potential energy?

No, mass cannot be created or destroyed through electrical potential energy. Instead, electrical potential energy is converted into mass, meaning that the total mass of a system will remain constant.

How is mass difference due to electrical potential energy measured?

Mass difference due to electrical potential energy can be measured using a variety of methods, such as mass spectrometry or nuclear reactions. These techniques allow for the precise measurement of changes in mass due to changes in electrical potential energy.