Mass flow and rolling carts (Kleppner 3.11)

In summary: The equation for the instantaneous acceleration is:##\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{1}{M_A+m(t_i)}(f_{ext}(t_i) + \frac{dm}{dt} (u - v) = -\mu g +\frac{b}{M} (u-v) ##
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Material is blown into cart A from cart B at a rate b kilograms per
second. The material leaves the chute vertically down-
ward, so that it has the same horizontal velocity u as cart B. At the
moment of interest, cart A has mass M and velocity v. Find dv/dt,
the instantaneous acceleration of A.

Homework Equations

Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
System studied: cart A and the chute.

Let's put that ##M_A## is the mass of cart A (unloaded), ##m(t)## is the material's mass in cart A at time ##t##, and ## \triangle m = m(t+\triangle t) - m(t)## is a small amount of material falling from the chute into cart A in a ##\triangle t## seconds.

At a given time ##t##, the horizontal momentum will be:
## P(t) = (M_A + m(t)) v(t) + \triangle m \ u(t) ##
## P(t+\triangle t ) = (M_A + m(t) + \triangle m) v(t+\triangle t) ##

So that in time ##t##:
## \frac{dP}{dt} = (M_A + m) \frac{dv}{dt} + \frac{dm}{dt} (v - u)##

In this system, only friction from the wheels of cart A contribute to horizontal external force :
##f_{ext} (t) = -\mu g (M_A +m(t)) ##

Since at time of interest ##t_i##, we are given:
##M_a + m(t_i) = M##,
## v(t_i) = v##,
##u(t_i) = u##,
## \frac{dm}{dt} = b##,

the acceleration should be:
##\frac{dv}{dt}(t_i) = \frac{1}{M_A + m(t_i)}(f_{ext}(t_i) + \frac{dm}{dt} (u - v) = -\mu g +\frac{b}{M} (u-v) ##Do you agree with this solution ?

Physics news on Phys.org
geoffrey159 said:
Do you agree with this solution ?
Yes, but you did not need to separate MA from m. Since friction is not mentioned, I would have assumed it zero.

Thank you haruspex!
I did separate because it wasn't so clear at first, but now I see it would work just the same ! Thanks

haruspex said:
Yes, but you did not need to separate MA from m. Since friction is not mentioned, I would have assumed it zero.

I have a small doubt wrt this question itself. The solution assumes that external force equals zero yet we are to find instantaneous acceleration of A. Could you explain why this is so?

warhammer said:
I have a small doubt wrt this question itself. The solution assumes that external force equals zero yet we are to find instantaneous acceleration of A. Could you explain why this is so?
The system being considered is the cart of current mass M plus the elemental increase in mass, dm, in time dt. These start at different velocities but end at the same velocity; each undergoes an acceleration. The total momentum is conserved.

1. What is mass flow and how does it relate to rolling carts?

Mass flow is the amount of mass that flows through a given area per unit time. In the context of rolling carts, it refers to the mass of the cart and its contents moving along a surface. The mass flow rate can be calculated by dividing the total mass by the time it takes for the cart to move a certain distance.

2. What is the principle of conservation of momentum and how does it apply to rolling carts?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of rolling carts, the momentum of the carts and their contents will remain constant unless there is an external force acting on them, such as friction or a collision with another object.

3. How does the height of the incline affect the mass flow of rolling carts?

The height of the incline can affect the mass flow of rolling carts in two ways. Firstly, a steeper incline will result in a greater change in potential energy, which will increase the speed of the carts and therefore increase the mass flow rate. Secondly, a higher incline will also result in a greater force of gravity acting on the carts, which can cause them to accelerate faster and increase the mass flow rate.

4. What is the relationship between mass flow and the coefficient of rolling friction?

The coefficient of rolling friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. In the case of rolling carts, it is a factor that affects the force of friction between the carts and the surface they are rolling on. This force of friction can impact the mass flow rate, as it acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the carts and can slow them down, decreasing the mass flow rate.

5. How does the mass of the carts affect the mass flow rate?

The mass of the carts themselves can affect the mass flow rate in two ways. Firstly, a heavier cart will require more force to move it, which can decrease the mass flow rate. Secondly, a heavier cart will also have a greater potential energy when moving down an incline, which can increase the speed and therefore the mass flow rate. However, the mass of the carts alone does not determine the mass flow rate, as other factors such as the incline and coefficient of rolling friction also play a role.