Mass rotating on ellipse track

In summary: And of course ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)-mgy####T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)####\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}=0=-m\ddot{x}####\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{y}}=0=-m\dd
skrat

Homework Statement

A body with mass ##m## can move without any friction on ellipse that ##(x/a)^2+(y/b)^2=1## describe. In ##y## direction homogeneous gravity field ##g## is present. For generalized coordinate we take angle ##\alpha ## defined with ##x=acos\alpha ##, ##y=bsin\alpha ##. Find equilibrium position and frequency of oscillation around that position.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##L=T-V##

##T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\alpha }^2)## and ##V=mgsin\alpha ##.

##L=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\alpha }^2)-mgsin\alpha ##

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \alpha }-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\alpha }}=0=-mgbcos\alpha -2mr\dot{r}\dot{\alpha }-mr^2\ddot{\alpha }=0##

So finally

##\ddot{\alpha }+\frac{2\dot{r}}{r}\dot{\alpha }+\frac{gb}{r^2}cos\alpha =0##.

For equilibrium position:

##cos\alpha =0## so ##\alpha =-\frac{\pi}{2}##

Now for frequency, I am guessing I can write:

##\ddot{\alpha }+\frac{2\dot{r}}{r}\dot{\alpha }+\frac{gb}{r^2}\alpha =0##

But this will be like horrible to calculate, since ##r=\sqrt{a^2cos^2\alpha +b^2sin^2\alpha }##...

Hmmm, is that ok? :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your generalized coordinate is not the polar angle, don't mix them.

At some point you'll have to approximate the kinetic and potential energy for small oscillations, otherwise you won't find a meaningful solution.

Note that the parameter t (called the eccentric anomaly in astronomy) is not the angle of (X(t),Y(t)) with the X-axis.

You can use the more general form described above that (and simplify it), but then you need a different variable and you don't use the one the problem statement suggested.

hmmm...

##\vec{r}=(acos\alpha ,bsin\alpha )## and ##r^2=a^2cos^2\alpha +b^2sin^2\alpha ##

##\dot{\vec{r}}=\dot{\alpha }(-asin\alpha ,bcos\alpha )## and ##\dot{r}^2=\dot{\alpha }^2(a^2sin^2\alpha +b^2cos^2\alpha )##.

Than ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\alpha }^2)-mgbsin\alpha ##

##L=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{\alpha }^2(a^2sin^2\alpha +b^2cos^2\alpha )+\dot{\alpha }^2(a^2cos^2\alpha +b^2sin^2\alpha ))-mgbsin\alpha ##

which leaves me with ##L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\alpha }^2(a^2+b^2)-mgbsin\alpha ##

Now ##\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\alpha }}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial \alpha }=m\ddot{\alpha }(a^2+b^2)+mgcos\alpha=0##

and finally ##\ddot{\alpha }+\frac{gb}{a^2+b^2}cos\alpha=0##.

Which leaves me with equilibrium position at ##\pi/2## and therefore frequency ## \omega ^2=\frac{gb}{a^2+b^2}##

However, this has to be wrong (don't ask me why), but if ##a=b##, than the track would be a simple circle and I would expect frequency something like ##\omega ^2=\frac{g}{R}##... Hmmm?

One more question, I would expect that ##T## is independent of cartesian or polar coordinates, but obviously this is not the case:

##T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\alpha }^2(a^2sin^2\alpha + b^2cos^2\alpha )## and

##T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\alpha }^2)=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\alpha }^2(a^2+b^2)##.How is that so?

Your second equation is wrong because, as explained, α is NOT the polar coordinate.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

Now I can see what the problem is! Aha! HA! Ok! I can't believe it took me so long.

Well than let's forget about polar coordinates and do everything in cartesian.

This brings me to ##\omega ^2=\frac{gb}{a^2}##

1. How does the mass rotate on an ellipse track?

The mass rotates on an ellipse track due to the presence of two perpendicular forces acting on it: the centripetal force, which pulls the mass towards the center of the ellipse, and the tangential force, which propels the mass forward along the track.

2. What factors affect the rotation of the mass on an ellipse track?

The rotation of the mass on an ellipse track is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the speed at which it is rotating, the length and shape of the ellipse track, and the strength of the forces acting on the mass.

3. How does the rotation of the mass change as it moves along the ellipse track?

As the mass moves along the ellipse track, its rotation changes due to the changing direction and magnitude of the centripetal and tangential forces acting on it. The mass will rotate faster when it is closer to the center of the ellipse and slower when it is farther away.

4. Can the mass rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions on an ellipse track?

Yes, the mass can rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions on an ellipse track. The direction of rotation depends on the initial velocity and position of the mass on the track, as well as the orientation of the ellipse.

5. How does the rotation of the mass on an ellipse track relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The rotation of the mass on an ellipse track is governed by Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by a net force. The second law relates the net force acting on an object to its mass and acceleration, while the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.