Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass spring system where springs have mass

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    hello all,
    Recently I have been attempting to model a spring system (see below) where the springs themselves will hold mass. I should know how to do this but i accept defeat, how do you model the potential energy or a force system on two masses connected to three springs? I have read about effective mass but i fail to fully understand. Thank you all for the celerity.
    _
    \
    /
    \
    [M1]
    /
    \
    /
    [M2]
    \
    /
    _\_

In this design the spring system is vertical and grounded on both ends. Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2
    Just apply newton's laws. If l1,l2,l3 are the lengths of the springs at a time t ,l1+l2+l3 =constant due to the grounding. Hence, you get two equations in two unknowns.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    yes i've been doing that and also derived the kinetic energy for the springs (1/6 mv^2 because of the springs mass per length) but am having difficulty compiling the kinetic energies and potentials.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook