Massive Particles in Sonic & Slow Light Black Holes

In summary, the Penrose process can be treated as purely classical in a sonic black hole, but slow light analogs may not be possible.
luke m
I am working on a research project where I intend to describe what the Penrose process would like in a sonic black hole. I have found what a rotating (Kerr) black hole looks like in the sonic analog:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.08306.pdf
I have also found that the analog of massless particles would be phonons:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1510/1510.00621.pdf
The Penrose process requires massive particles to my understanding, what is the analog of this in a sonic black hole? If this is not possible in a sonic black hole, would it be possible in a different type of analog, like a slow light black hole?
Slow light black holes: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0303028.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Per your last reference, slow light cannot be used as an analog for quantum features of black holes. In fact, I was at a talk by Unruh on black hole analogs, and asked him this question (without knowing he had previously considered, analyzed, and rejected this possibility). He briefly explained the issues with it. At the time, I was really impressed with how he dealt with the question. Per your reference, I now see he had previously considered this!

PAllen said:
Per your last reference, slow light cannot be used as an analog for quantum features of black holes. In fact, I was at a talk by Unruh on black hole analogs, and asked him this question (without knowing he had previously considered, analyzed, and rejected this possibility). He briefly explained the issues with it. At the time, I was really impressed with how he dealt with the question. Per your reference, I now see he had previously considered this!
On the other hand, the Penrose process can be treated as purely classical, so slow light analogs may be workable. I just don’t know.

1. What are massive particles in sonic & slow light black holes?

Massive particles in sonic & slow light black holes refer to particles that have a significant amount of mass and are affected by the strong gravitational pull of a black hole. These particles can either be matter particles, such as protons and electrons, or energy particles, such as photons.

2. How do massive particles behave in sonic & slow light black holes?

In sonic & slow light black holes, massive particles are subject to the effects of extreme gravity. This can cause them to accelerate towards the black hole at high speeds, or even get trapped in the black hole's event horizon. Additionally, the intense gravitational forces can also cause these particles to emit radiation, such as X-rays, as they spiral towards the black hole.

3. What is the significance of studying massive particles in sonic & slow light black holes?

Studying massive particles in sonic & slow light black holes can provide valuable insights into the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments. It can also help us better understand the properties of black holes and their effects on the surrounding space-time.

4. Can massive particles escape from a sonic & slow light black hole?

In general, massive particles cannot escape from a sonic & slow light black hole once they have crossed the event horizon. However, some particles may be able to escape through processes such as Hawking radiation, which is a form of radiation emitted by black holes.

5. How are massive particles affected by the slowing of light in a black hole?

In a sonic & slow light black hole, the slowing of light can cause massive particles to lose energy as they travel towards the black hole. This can result in a decrease in their velocity and an increase in their mass, making them more susceptible to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.