Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree

In summary, Jason found out that he is not suited to be a physicist and wants to pursue an electrical engineering degree instead. He is meeting with his physics adviser to reorganize his graduation plan and is taking more ee classes to prepare. His good friend just got accepted for a Phd in EE with a fellowship with a physics degree, and he did not have that many engineering courses at all.
twlin93
Dear all,

I am this dilemma. I found out that I am not suitable to be a physicist. I want to be an electrical engineer but it is too late to change to ee now. My plan is to finish my degree in Physics and Applied Math, then apply ee for master.

I want to know how can I do it, in order to fulfill this ambition.

I am desperate to know it. I don't have the driving force in the physics department now. I feel that what I am pursuing now is impossible to achieve. I feel very dry now. I don't have the purpose to go to the physics department. The only place that I can remain my sanity is in the physics lab I am working now. I was asked to build circuits. It's fun.

I need motivations and success stories, so that I can focus on my current degree.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am an EE that went to grad school with and work with quite a few physics BS turned EE MS / PhD. Working in a lab building circuits should give you a good recommendation letter when you apply to grad schools. If your university has an EE department it would be worth your time to talk to some faculty and take a course or two to prepare. Some branches of EE are highly mathematical (controls, communications, signal processing), some use a lot of physics (solid state devices, photonics, electromagnetics) , and some are more "enginering" (computer engineering, electronics). In all cases it sounds like your background is a reasonable match. You will certainly have some remedial undergrad courses to take, but which ones depends on your specialization.

Otherwise, this is very do-able. The combination of physics and applied math, combined with experience actually building circuits (which I didn't get that much of as an undergrad EE, believe it or not) places you in a good spot.

By the way I am in the US, other countries may have systems that view this differently.

I wish you the best,

jason

Thank you

Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot. It's good to know about it. My parents are not very supportive about it. They didn't know what to do. But, you gave me hope. Hope is strong.

I'm going to meet my physics adviser and rearrange my graduation plan soon. Planning to take more ee classes. I will email the ee department in my school. My applied math professors are supportive with my ambition. But physics professors have biased opinions (implying me to do physics for grad school)

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

My good friend just got accepted for a Phd in EE with a fellowship with a physics degree. He did not have that many Engineering courses at all. He was in fact a physics/ applied math double as well. Good luck to you.

Dear fellow scientist,

First of all, I want to commend you for recognizing your passion for electrical engineering and having the determination to pursue it despite the challenges you may face. It is never too late to change your career path and I believe that your background in physics and applied math will greatly benefit you in your pursuit of a master's degree in electrical engineering.

To fulfill your ambition, I suggest that you start by researching the requirements and application process for the master's program in electrical engineering that you are interested in. This will give you a clear understanding of the steps you need to take and the timeline you need to follow. You can also reach out to the program coordinator or current students to gain more insights and ask any specific questions you may have.

In terms of staying motivated, I would recommend seeking out success stories and experiences of individuals who have successfully transitioned from a physics degree to a career in electrical engineering. This will not only inspire you but also provide you with valuable tips and advice on how to make the most out of your current degree and prepare for your future studies in electrical engineering.

Additionally, I encourage you to continue exploring your interests in electrical engineering through your work in the physics lab. Building circuits is a great way to gain hands-on experience and further develop your skills in this field. You can also consider taking relevant electives or participating in extracurricular activities related to electrical engineering to further enhance your knowledge and skills.

Remember, with determination, hard work, and a clear plan, you can achieve your goal of becoming an electrical engineer. Keep your passion alive and never give up on your dreams. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Sincerely,

1. What is the difference between a Master in Electrical Engineering and a Physics degree?

A Master in Electrical Engineering is a specialized degree that focuses specifically on the principles and applications of electrical systems and technology. A Physics degree, on the other hand, covers a broader range of topics including mechanics, energy, and matter. While both degrees involve a strong foundation in math and science, a Master in Electrical Engineering is more focused on practical applications in the field of electrical systems.

2. Can I pursue a Master in Electrical Engineering with a Physics degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master in Electrical Engineering with a Physics degree. Many universities offer a bridge program or pre-requisites that allow students with a Physics degree to transition into a Master in Electrical Engineering program. However, it may require additional coursework or self-study to catch up on the necessary engineering concepts.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree?

Graduates with a Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power systems, electronics, and renewable energy. They can work as electrical engineers, design engineers, research and development engineers, and more.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree?

The duration of a Master in Electrical Engineering program may vary depending on the university and whether the student is pursuing it full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete the program.

5. What skills will I gain from a Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree?

A Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree will equip you with a strong foundation in electrical systems and technology, as well as advanced skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. You will also gain practical skills in designing, building, and testing electrical systems and devices.