1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master in Maths seeking engineering job in Fluids Dynamics area

1. Jul 18, 2013 #1
    I did BA Maths at Cambridge with a First Class back in 2009-12, worked in i-banking for one year (partially because I need to fund my graduate study) and will continue with a Master in Maths at Cam this coming autumn. My courses had been (and will continue to be) concentrated in Fluid Dynamics area (which is under Dept. of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics in Cam) and would like to seek engineering job opportunities in the relevant area (I'm less inclined to apply for a specific PhD programme and take research position soon).

I saw companies like Rolls Royce hiring MEng/MSc background people for its "Aerothermal/Fluid Dynamics" area in the Graduate Programme. Just wondering if anyone could kindly share some insights if there's any possibility for people with my background to tap into above mentioned job market? If so, anything I should start to prepare / be minded of for job application (throughout the year of Master's programme at Cambridge)?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

RR will certainly consider mathematicians (and any other scientific discipline) for the graduate entry.

When you get back to Cambridge, go to the Whittle Lab and find out about the RR-sponsored projects they are working on, and start networking from there.

As for the job application and interview(s), remember RR is an engineering company not a research lab (though of course it does a lot of research both in house and with a network of universities). Expect to be interviewed by engineers and expect to be asked to show you have some basic understanding of how the company's products work. This might be a good investment: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Jet-engine-Rolls-Royce/dp/0902121049

4. Jul 18, 2013 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I would add that experience with numerical methods (computational fluid mechanics) is essential. Also, if you take a few relevant engineering courses, you can argue that your math background distinguishes you (in a good way) from the typical engineering applicant.

Not sure about who is hiring in your specific region, but the petroleum industry hires a lot of fluids folks- Schlumberger comes to mind in particular. Also, I expect Cambridge to have a 'career services' office for graduating students- they should be able to help you.

5. Aug 12, 2013 #4
    Thanks and this is very helpful. An additional question is that I happened to find Cranfield University offers an MsC programme in CFD which appeared to have much more industrial connections and more specific trainings in CFD. Would you recommend pursuing a second Master's degree (in CFD)? I personally don't think one-year to be spent at Cambridge will be any waster, but only to allow me dive deeper in the theoretical field of fluid dynamics. My concern is, though, that given I'm not EU-national it'll be quite difficult to compete in the job market without any CFD learning/research experience, which the MsC programme might be of great help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook