Master in Maths seeking engineering job in Fluids Dynamics area

In summary: It is definitely possible to pursue a second Master's degree in CFD. However, I think it would be a waste of time to do so if you don't have any practical experience or training in CFD. The MsC programme might be of great help, but you will need to be very selective about which courses you take.
evan247
I did BA Maths at Cambridge with a First Class back in 2009-12, worked in i-banking for one year (partially because I need to fund my graduate study) and will continue with a Master in Maths at Cam this coming autumn. My courses had been (and will continue to be) concentrated in Fluid Dynamics area (which is under Dept. of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics in Cam) and would like to seek engineering job opportunities in the relevant area (I'm less inclined to apply for a specific PhD programme and take research position soon).

I saw companies like Rolls Royce hiring MEng/MSc background people for its "Aerothermal/Fluid Dynamics" area in the Graduate Programme. Just wondering if anyone could kindly share some insights if there's any possibility for people with my background to tap into above mentioned job market? If so, anything I should start to prepare / be minded of for job application (throughout the year of Master's programme at Cambridge)?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
RR will certainly consider mathematicians (and any other scientific discipline) for the graduate entry.

When you get back to Cambridge, go to the Whittle Lab and find out about the RR-sponsored projects they are working on, and start networking from there.

As for the job application and interview(s), remember RR is an engineering company not a research lab (though of course it does a lot of research both in house and with a network of universities). Expect to be interviewed by engineers and expect to be asked to show you have some basic understanding of how the company's products work. This might be a good investment: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0902121049/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would add that experience with numerical methods (computational fluid mechanics) is essential. Also, if you take a few relevant engineering courses, you can argue that your math background distinguishes you (in a good way) from the typical engineering applicant.

Not sure about who is hiring in your specific region, but the petroleum industry hires a lot of fluids folks- Schlumberger comes to mind in particular. Also, I expect Cambridge to have a 'career services' office for graduating students- they should be able to help you.

AlephZero said:
RR will certainly consider mathematicians (and any other scientific discipline) for the graduate entry.

When you get back to Cambridge, go to the Whittle Lab and find out about the RR-sponsored projects they are working on, and start networking from there.

As for the job application and interview(s), remember RR is an engineering company not a research lab (though of course it does a lot of research both in house and with a network of universities). Expect to be interviewed by engineers and expect to be asked to show you have some basic understanding of how the company's products work. This might be a good investment: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0902121049/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks and this is very helpful. An additional question is that I happened to find Cranfield University offers an MsC programme in CFD which appeared to have much more industrial connections and more specific trainings in CFD. Would you recommend pursuing a second Master's degree (in CFD)? I personally don't think one-year to be spent at Cambridge will be any waster, but only to allow me dive deeper in the theoretical field of fluid dynamics. My concern is, though, that given I'm not EU-national it'll be quite difficult to compete in the job market without any CFD learning/research experience, which the MsC programme might be of great help.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your interest in seeking an engineering job in Fluid Dynamics. Your background in maths, particularly with a BA from Cambridge and a Master's in Maths with a focus on Fluid Dynamics, is certainly impressive. It shows that you have a strong foundation in mathematical principles and have also taken the initiative to specialize in a specific area of interest.

In terms of job opportunities, it is definitely possible for someone with your background to tap into the job market in Fluid Dynamics. Companies like Rolls Royce often look for individuals with a strong mathematical background, as well as knowledge in fluid dynamics and aerothermal areas. Your experience in i-banking may also be seen as a valuable asset, as it shows your ability to work in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.

To increase your chances of securing a job in this field, I would suggest networking and reaching out to professionals currently working in the industry. Attend job fairs and conferences, and connect with individuals who have similar backgrounds or work in the same field. This will not only give you valuable insights into the job market, but also allow you to make connections and potentially find job opportunities.

Additionally, it may be helpful to highlight your relevant coursework and projects related to Fluid Dynamics on your resume and during job interviews. Companies are often looking for individuals who have a strong understanding of the subject and can apply their knowledge to real-world problems.

Overall, with your strong academic background and interest in Fluid Dynamics, I believe you have a good chance of finding job opportunities in this field. Just make sure to network, showcase your skills and knowledge, and stay updated on the latest developments in the industry. Best of luck in your job search!

1. What kind of engineering jobs are available for someone with a Master's in Maths specializing in Fluid Dynamics?

There are a variety of engineering jobs that require a strong background in Fluid Dynamics, such as Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Civil Engineering. These jobs can involve designing and testing aircraft, developing new fluid systems, studying the flow of liquids and gases in pipes, or analyzing the behavior of fluids in natural environments.

2. What skills do I need to have in order to be successful in an engineering job in Fluid Dynamics?

In addition to a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, you will need to have a solid foundation in physics, particularly in the areas of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. You should also be proficient in computer programming and have experience with relevant software and simulation tools. Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also essential.

3. Can I pursue a career in Fluid Dynamics with just a Master's in Maths, or do I need additional qualifications?

While a Master's in Maths with a focus on Fluid Dynamics can open up many opportunities in the field, some employers may prefer candidates with a more specialized degree in Engineering. Consider gaining additional qualifications or taking relevant courses to enhance your knowledge and skills in this specific area.

4. What industries typically hire engineers with a background in Fluid Dynamics?

Engineers with expertise in Fluid Dynamics are in demand in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy and power, environmental, marine, and chemical and process engineering. These industries utilize fluids in various forms, and require the expertise of engineers to design and optimize systems and processes involving fluids.

5. Are there any specific professional organizations or associations that I should join as a Master's in Maths seeking an engineering job in Fluid Dynamics?

Yes, there are several professional organizations and associations that focus on Fluid Dynamics and related fields, such as the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR). Joining these organizations can provide networking opportunities, access to industry events and conferences, and resources for professional development.