Master Vim Editing: Get Help & Tips for Beginners | Ubuntu Download

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
In summary, using C again on Ubuntu is proving to be difficult due to the fact that I am used to using vi, but after using the 'ter' command to find the terminal icon and following the instructions, everything is now working smoothly.
mesa
Gold Member
Okay, so I am trying to use C again, but this time it was recommended I try Vim since I was having a lot of trouble with vi (have terrible typing habits that are not conducive to this type of editing software).

I downloaded ubuntu and vim but when I go to the shell and type in vimtutor it comes up with a bunch of errors in the text. For example, "[5,6HVim is a powerful...".

The tutor is full of extra brackets and numbers, plus it wants me to run through the hjkl, which is exactly what I am trying to avoid by switching to vim.

I have tried just jumping into the editor (which has been great!) but can't for the life of me figure out how to compile the code. At this point I am fine with skipping the tutor if someone can tell me how to compile.

Computer science news on Phys.org
From inside the vi(m) window where you write your c file, hit ESC, then enter :! cc %
! performs a command in the shell, while % is all the text you have been typing (i.e. your whole program).

Likes jedishrfu
Well, it compiles but code that had no errors with vi is now full of them? Do things compile differently with vim? I thought they were the same.

jedishrfu said:
If you're just looking for an editor to use for development then checkout atom at atom.io. Its easily gotten on ubuntu via the apt get command.

(misread OP question and thought he wanted to compile the vim code to get the vimtutor to work, oh well...)

https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe/wiki/Building-Vim-from-source
How do you install these, "libraries". Assume I no nothing ;)

Never mind, got it guys.

Apparently it was a simple matter of using the search and inputting 'ter' followed by clicking on the 'terminal' icon. I had downloaded the vim editor and that just was not necessary with ubuntu which was causing all the issues.

Thank you both for the input. Perhaps things will go smoother in the future, although with most instructions online speaking in 'code' I get the feeling this software will ultimately find its way to the recycling bin ;)

Related to Master Vim Editing: Get Help & Tips for Beginners | Ubuntu Download

1. What is vimtutor?

Vimtutor is a built-in interactive tutorial for the text editor Vim. It is designed to help users learn the basics of Vim, including navigation, editing, and customization.

2. How do I access vimtutor?

To access vimtutor, simply open your terminal or command prompt and type "vimtutor" followed by the Enter key. This will launch the tutorial in your default text editor.

3. How long does it take to complete vimtutor?

The length of time it takes to complete vimtutor will vary depending on your familiarity with Vim and your typing speed. On average, it takes about 30 minutes to complete the tutorial.

4. Can I pause or exit vimtutor?

Yes, you can pause vimtutor at any time by pressing the Ctrl key and then the Z key. This will return you to your terminal or command prompt. To exit vimtutor, simply type ":q" followed by the Enter key.

5. Is vimtutor suitable for beginners?

Yes, vimtutor is designed specifically for beginners who are new to Vim. It starts with the basics and gradually introduces more advanced features, making it a great tool for learning the fundamentals of Vim.