1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mastering Physics: Rolling Motion, Pebble stuck in a Tire by Static Fr

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.2 g pebble is stuck in a tread of a 0.76 m diameter automobile tire, held in place by static friction that can be at most 3.6 N. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight road. How fast is the car moving when the pebble flies out of the tire tread? I know the answer is 17 m/s however I don't know how to get it.

2. Relevant equations

v=(2*[itex]\pi[/itex]*R)/T
    v=ωR
    [itex]\alpha[/itex]=τ/I
    I=1/2*M*R2
    Fc=(m*v2)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the centripetal force equation and rearranged for velocity, using the maximum static friction as my force. I then divided that number by 2 to get the speed in the centre of the wheel (since the speed at the top of the wheel is twice the speed of the vehicle).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2
    Problem Solved!

I found the solution, I used the centripetal force equation like I explained above, but I did not divide by 2 at the end.

Fc=mv2/r
    v=√(Fcr/m)
    v=√[(3.6 N)(0.38 m)/(0.0012kg)]
    v=33.76388603 m/s
    v=38 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted