Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics: Industry Jobs & Options

In summary: A Physics degree does not always automatically lead to a career as a software engineer. However, a good foundation in physics is essential for many software engineering positions. A Physics degree allows one to understand the fundamental principles behind how computer programs work. This understanding is critical for software engineers who develop and maintain the software that runs on computers.
Yaste
Hey.

I'll be finishing my bachelors (in Physics) in a month or so and it's about time to start thinking about a master's degree.

I'm not very motivated to go pure Physics. I'm more inclined for something like "Computational Mechanics". Now, in this time and age it would be stupid of me to get a master's degree without considering the employable factor. So I'm here to ask you:

From what you know, what kind of jobs are available to someone with a master's in computational mechanics? More specifically, industry jobs.

Also, what is the best combination of physics + master's if one wishes to join the work-force as soon as one finishes the degree (or even before)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to join the industry work force as soon as you finish your degree? What about an engineering master's degree?

axmls said:
If you want to join the industry work force as soon as you finish your degree? What about an engineering master's degree?

Computational Mechanics is considered engineering, as it is taught in an engineering campus. I then have "Industrial engineering" and "micro/nano technologies". I'm not sure what the prospects for each would be..

You left out one very significant piece of information from your posts, and I don't know how axmls could even answer such a question without this information: where in the world are you and where do you intend to seek employment?

This is significant, because your employment opportunity for the same type of degree is different in the US than, say, in Uganda!

Secondly, what is the reason why you are seeking a Masters degree? What are you hoping to get out of such a degree and how do you think it will improve your situation?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You left out one very significant piece of information from your posts, and I don't know how axmls could even answer such a question without this information: where in the world are you and where do you intend to seek employment?

This is significant, because your employment opportunity for the same type of degree is different in the US than, say, in Uganda!

Secondly, what is the reason why you are seeking a Masters degree? What are you hoping to get out of such a degree and how do you think it will improve your situation?

Zz.

Hello ZapperZ, thank you for replying.

I am an european student, currently in Portugal and I plan to either stay here or go elsewhere while remaning in europe.

The reason for seeking a masters degree is that, adding to the fact that, nowadays, a bachelors is pretty much not enough, my thirst for knowledge has not yet been satisfied. I believe that by studying 2 more years I can get a better job with a better salary, at-least when seeing it from a long-term perspective. Now I don't want to waste both money and time getting a master's degree that will not help me in a significant way when searching for a job, if that time ever comes.

Also, might I ask how one with a degree in physics ends up doing software work? I've heard countless times that a Physics degree allows one to work as a software engineer but that doesn't sound very accurate according to my experience.

Related to Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics: Industry Jobs & Options

What is a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics?

A Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics is a graduate-level program that focuses on the use of computer software and algorithms to analyze and model mechanical systems. It combines principles of mechanics, mathematics, and computer science to solve complex engineering problems and design efficient structures.

What kind of industry jobs can I get with a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics?

With a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics, you can pursue a variety of jobs in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, manufacturing, and more. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, computational analyst, structural engineer, and simulation engineer.

What are some options for further study with a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics?

After completing a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics, you can continue your education with a Ph.D. program in a related field such as computational mechanics, mechanical engineering, or applied mathematics. You can also pursue professional certifications or attend workshops and conferences to stay updated on the latest developments in the field.

What skills will I develop through a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics?

Through a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics, you will develop advanced skills in computer programming, numerical methods, and simulation techniques. You will also gain a strong understanding of mechanics principles and their application in solving real-world problems. Additionally, you will improve your analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.

Is a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics worth it?

It depends on your career goals and interests. If you are passionate about using computer software to solve mechanical engineering problems, then a Master's Degree in Computational Mechanics can be a valuable investment. It can open up job opportunities in various industries and provide you with advanced skills and knowledge that can lead to a fulfilling career.