1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters in Mathematics?

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    So next year I am graduating with a BSc Physics. Just wondering if having a masters in Mathematics will actually help employment prospects? Or would a phD be more worth while?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2
    Employment where? If you are looking for Investment Banking opportunities, both mathematics or physics will help you, especially if you are from USA, banks there prefer physics students to math students.

I'd rather say pursue what you are interested in and you will get a job that best fits you, eventually!

4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    Thank you for your reply! I am definitely looking to go into finance or banking. I want to be the one that applies maths and problem solving to figure out how to make the cash. I'm in the UK by the way.

So how about a masters in Financial Mathematics? To be honest, I feel like I am not entirely ready to go into the working world and I am interested in a subject that involves a lot of Maths.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #4
    If you are so keen on making money then I would definitely recommend you to consider Financial Mathematics program.

Given your physics background, an even better choice will be to apply for an internship or analyst position at some banks in UK and pursuing Financial Engineering at USA, the starting salary for experienced guys is currently around $ 150K, it is very competitive, but if your grades in your under graduate program are fair enough, with 1-3 years of working experience in banking industry nothing can stop you (caution: they will cost you a fortune, but it will take less than a year to pay them off).

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5
    Yeah thanks for that mate. I have an open day at a university I am thinking of applying to next week, I will visit the Business school. My friend in the USA has been offered a job working for an oil company, starting on $111,00/yr without bonus'. He does chemical engineering. I didn't realise chemical engineers were paid so much.

I have just come back from a summer job working in the USA and I really wouldn't mind working there for a couple of years.

Thanks

7. Sep 5, 2010 #6
    I would recommend you to apply to MSc Risk & Stochastics at LSE.

8. Sep 9, 2010 #7

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

The financial maths MSc cost MUCH more than a normal MSc in applied maths. If you were thinking about an MSc in maths then there are few of general/specific MSc's that I would recommend.
    The fluids MSc from Manchester is very well regarded, ther applied maths MSc from Imperial is good, the UCL MSc also has some good options (including financial) as well as Oxford and then there is part III at cambridge.

Mat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook