1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Master's in Physics after lackluster undergrad performance?

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have a few questions regarding acceptance to master's programs in physics.

I started undergrad many years younger than my peers (I was 14). Due to a combination of poor discipline and time management skills, family issues, and mental health issues, my performance during my first three years of undergrad were lackluster (physics GPA - 3.0). I stopped slacking off in my senior year and made a 3.9 GPA my last two quarters, but having no research experience outside of labs (currently reaching out to professors and in the hopes of getting involved), I don't think going to a PhD program would be feasible.

I'm wondering, how selective are terminal master's programs in comparison to PhD programs? if I were to do a master's and do really well in terms of grades and a thesis, would this open up a path for acceptance to competitive PhD programs? and could anyone recommend schools that are decent for theoretical particle physics that offer a terminal master's? I've only found a few so far.

thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2
    What's your endgame?...by that I mean, what do you want to do when you're all done with school? Having a career goal in mind can help to make those tough educational decisions easier...have you considered taking a year off from studying to just work and see what life is like "out there"?

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3
    My endgame is to enter a career in particle physics research. since I've already graduated from school and the earliest I would be considered for admission is either spring or fall of next year, I'm technically taking a year off from school right now! currently working a part-time job (unrelated to physics) and am reaching out to professors in the hopes of volunteering in a research lab part time. I don't want to take even more time off than I already am and hope to get back to physics coursework (and research) next year via a master's program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted