Masters of Science in aerospace engineering.

In summary: I think you should think seriously about going for your masters of aerospace... and would most likely advise against it (if my advice means anything anyways) just because masters of science in ME is more broad and there are more areas you could get a job with it, rather than being so specific in aerospace. That is a valid point. A masters in aerospace engineering would definitely be a specialized field. However, a masters in mechanical engineering would be more broad in scope and may be a better choice for you. You would have more options for employment.
mamta8
Hi !

Is it possible for an Instrumentation and control engineering student(graduate ) to get into Masters of Science in aerospace engineering.

Please advice if anyone of you is well versed with the topic.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might need to take some undergrad courses to catch up. Strip off all of the application-specific nomenclature and the control theory used in aerospace, mechanical, chemical, or electrical engineering, are all pretty much the same. Variations on a common theme.

D H said:
You might need to take some undergrad courses to catch up.

First of all i thank you for the reply.

I am currently in 5th semester,B.E( 3rd year). That means do means do i have to go for another 4 years B.E in Aerospace..

Please throw some light on what undergraduate courses needs to be taken.

Thank you

No. It means you need to take some undergrad courses. If your school has an aerospace department, go talk to one of the professors there. If not, your school almost certainly has a mechanical engineering department.

Could you give some examples as to what "some undergrad courses" are you talking about..

thanks

You'll need to catch up on aerodynamics, most likely compressible and gas flows. I would imagine a structures class or two would also be called for. If i had to guess, you need to tack on at least a year of catch up to a graduate level schedule.

That is fine ..but do the MS universities take me in seeing my instrumentation and control background? Or it is like you give a specific exam(aerospace) for entry into the university...

You will have to take the GRE in most cases, but everyone has to do this. There is no specific test for aerospace unless your particular school has devised one to take. You will be just like everyone else. You will have all of your credentials on your application and submit from there. You will undoubtedly have to have an undergrad from an ABET accredited school.

These are all questions you can easily ask any of the schools you would like to attend to get a proper answer. Many schools (mine included) have all of their grad school requirements on line.

That does remind me...in my grad school, you had to apply to both the graduate school and the school of engineering. There is a possibility of getting accepted by one and not the other if your chosen school does the same.

thank you for that advice.

this is a question i would like to ask you ..are you doing your MS or Phd. in aerospace ..if yes please name the university/college.

thank you

Why is that relevant?

Well ! that is absolutely relevant as it would be wonderful to get a first hand account from an alumina of a university …if in case I too want to go into that particular college...

"from an alumina ":rofl:

...i mean alumni

Mine was a MS in mechanical engineering. However I work for an aerospace company so I know a lot of "those" types as well as what their discipline entails.

I am starting my first year of grad school in the Fall from the same university I got my bachelors from. I am going for my masters of science in mechanical engineering because my school does not offer the aerospace one.

Please look at this thread for information on what classes you should take. It may help you decide what to do.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=321099

Here is my experience and it too may help you figure out what you want to do.
I graduated from an ABET accredited university, but the masters program is not Abet accredited.

Since I am going to the same school I graduated previously from, I did not have to take the GRE. (saves some money) but if i ever want to get a PhD i will have to take it.

I think you should think seriously about going for your masters of aerospace... and would most likely advise against it (if my advice means anything anyways) just because masters of science in ME is more broad and there are more areas you could get a job with it, rather than being so specific in aerospace.

Im sure it you can do the same for aerospace, just get a job in another field, but why take the chance, especially when the job market is so flimsy right now?

1. What is a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering?

A Masters of Science in aerospace engineering is a graduate-level degree program that focuses on the design, development, and operation of aircraft and spacecraft. It covers topics such as aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, and systems.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering?

Graduates with a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, aviation, and government agencies. They can work as aerospace engineers, aircraft designers, systems engineers, and more.

3. How long does it take to complete a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering?

The length of time to complete a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering varies depending on the program and whether the student is studying full-time or part-time. Generally, it takes 1.5 to 2 years to complete the degree.

4. What are the admission requirements for a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering?

Admission requirements for a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering typically include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require relevant work experience.

5. Is a thesis required for a Masters of Science in aerospace engineering?

Many Masters of Science in aerospace engineering programs require students to complete a thesis project, which involves conducting original research in a specific area of aerospace engineering. However, some programs may offer non-thesis options or allow students to choose between a thesis or non-thesis track.