Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matching a probe to my oscilloscope (15mhz)

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    Hey all. As the title states, I have an analog oscilloscope with a bandwidth of 15MHz. I am in the market for a probe and have noticed a good deal of them to be in the triple digits.

Long story short, I've come across a quality probe kit that consists of 150MHz rated probes. Thus my question is if a 150MHz probe is too high for a scope with only 15MHz... literally an order of magnitude.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nah, higher is better, except higher BW usually means higher cost.

It's best if the probe has an input capacitance adjustment, to help match the input capacitance of the 'scope. Does your 'scope have a "calibration" output square wave available?

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    Okay. Yes it does have cap adjustment; don't they all?

The scope does have a square wave output for calibration.

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4
    I can't seem to find one on the one I have. It has something that looks like one, but turning it doesn't do anything.

6. Jun 29, 2011 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Good. Do you know how to use the square wave to calibrate the probe? Just tune the capacitance control until you get a nice square waveform. You're good to go!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook