Material Selection for isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene

In summary, the conversation revolves around a school project involving the design of a distillation stage for producing isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene. The person is seeking help on the best materials to use for the system and the properties of the involved liquids, specifically their corrosiveness. They are advised to consult MSDS sheets and consider the flammability and spontaneous polymerization properties of the chemicals. It is clarified that the project is only theoretical and no actual handling of chemicals will be involved. The importance of including safety precautions in the report is also mentioned.
hey guys.gals
am currently working on a school project. and i would appreciate any help on what would be the best materials in a system that involves isoprene(2-methyl-1,3-butadiene) and 3-methyl-1-butene. and help on the properties of this liquids would also be apreciated. are they corrosive ?
the system contains distillation column, heat exchanger, reboilers, tanks , piping.
i would really like to know the properties of the materials. any help?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
shyb0y85 said:
hey guys.gals
am currently working on a school project. and i would appreciate any help on what would be the best materials in a system that involves isoprene(2-methyl-1,3-butadiene) and 3-methyl-1-butene. and help on the properties of this liquids would also be apreciated. are they corrosive ?
the system contains distillation column, heat exchanger, reboilers, tanks , piping.
thanks

Welcome to the PF. What other information sources have you tapped so far? Seems like Google would be of help. And here is what W|A has to say:

2-methyl-1,3-butadiene: http://www95.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2-methyl-1,3-butadiene

3-methyl-1-butene: http://www95.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3-methyl-1-butene

NFPA:

Attachments

• MSP987195hf4c2h042cfee0000512h7788hgd027d1.gif
    MSP987195hf4c2h042cfee0000512h7788hgd027d1.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 586
  • MSP164195hfe00f0feih1h000036fce5ab3de88d8f.gif
    MSP164195hfe00f0feih1h000036fce5ab3de88d8f.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 547
BTW, why are you asking if they are corrosive? What do their MSDS sheets say? You do know what an MSDS is, right?

BTW, isoprene has an ominous warning on its MSDS:

MSDS said:
Unstable - prone to spontaneous polymerization

I've seen vidoes of what can happen when you get spontaneous polymerization. Boom.

From their MSDS sheets, they do not appear to be especially corrosive. Still pretty dangerous stuff.

shyb0y85 said:
thanks

Please be sure to read and understand the flammability and spontaneous polymerization properties of these two materials. You probably do not want them to be getting near any heat sources...

berkeman said:
BTW, why are you asking if they are corrosive? What do their MSDS sheets say? You do know what an MSDS is, right?

thanks for all your responses W A has been very helpful with the data provided.
i was asking if the chemicals are corrosive so that i can determine which type of Stainless Steel i can use for the different units; as there is no need to use a corrosion resistant SS when the chemicals are not corrosive.i think it won't be cost effective.
i have looked at W\A, could u pls point me as to which property i should consider for the corrosiveness of the chemicals.its not quite clear.
thanks again

shyb0y85 said:
thanks for all your responses W A has been very helpful with the data provided.
i was asking if the chemicals are corrosive so that i can determine which type of Stainless Steel i can use for the different units; as there is no need to use a corrosion resistant SS when the chemicals are not corrosive.i think it won't be cost effective.
i have looked at W\A, could u pls point me as to which property i should consider for the corrosiveness of the chemicals.its not quite clear.
thanks again

The MSDS will list it as corrosive if it is a strong acid or base:

http://www.ilpi.com/msdS/ref/corrosive.html

For example, look at the MSDS for sulphuric acid:

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/SU/sulfuric_acid_concentrated.html

Nasty stuff.

Did you understand my concerns about the flammability and spontaneous polymerization properties of the two chemicals you are asking about? Is your supervisor/prof/TA aware of the safety aspects involved in working with chemicals like these?

In your work on this, please be sure to make the safety aspects of working with these chemicals part of your written work. Are you just writing up a report, or do you intend to actually build an apparatus and work with these chemicals? What is the goal of this work?

thanks a lot for the links and all the help man, been very helpful.
its just a report on the design of the distillation stage of isoprene to produce isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene. its just 'theoretical' no actual handling of chemicals and all.
although i will be sure to include that caution need to be taken when handling chemicals due flammability and spontenous polymerization. but all in all its just a report, so i don't think that the safety aspects of handling the equipment are to be thought about alot.

1. What is the difference between isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene?

Isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene are both organic compounds that contain five carbon atoms and double bonds. However, isoprene has two double bonds while 3-methyl-1-butene has only one. This difference in structure leads to different chemical and physical properties.

2. What are the main uses of isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene?

Isoprene is commonly used in the production of synthetic rubber, such as neoprene, and in the manufacturing of adhesives and coatings. 3-methyl-1-butene is used in the production of plastics, synthetic rubber, and as a solvent in various industrial processes.

3. How are isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene selected for specific applications?

The selection of isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene for specific applications depends on their chemical and physical properties, such as boiling point, reactivity, and solubility. It also depends on the desired characteristics of the final product, such as flexibility, durability, and resistance to chemicals.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing between isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene?

Several factors should be considered when choosing between isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene, including cost, availability, compatibility with other materials, and environmental impact. The specific requirements of the application and the desired properties of the final product should also be taken into account.

5. How does the molecular structure of isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene affect their performance?

The molecular structure of isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene plays a crucial role in their performance. The presence of double bonds in isoprene allows for cross-linking, leading to the formation of strong and flexible rubber. On the other hand, the single double bond in 3-methyl-1-butene makes it more reactive and suitable for use in the production of plastics.