Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Selection for isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    hey guys.gals
    am currently working on a school project. and i would appreciate any help on what would be the best materials in a system that involves isoprene(2-methyl-1,3-butadiene) and 3-methyl-1-butene. and help on the properties of this liquids would also be apreciated. are they corrosive ?
    the system contains distillation column, heat exchanger, reboilers, tanks , piping.
    i would really like to know the properties of the materials. any help?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. What other information sources have you tapped so far? Seems like Google would be of help. And here is what W|A has to say:

2-methyl-1,3-butadiene: http://www95.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2-methyl-1,3-butadiene

3-methyl-1-butene: http://www95.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3-methyl-1-butene

NFPA:

Attached Files:

4. May 20, 2009 #3

berkeman

BTW, why are you asking if they are corrosive? What do their MSDS sheets say? You do know what an MSDS is, right?

5. May 20, 2009 #4

berkeman

BTW, isoprene has an ominous warning on its MSDS:

I've seen vidoes of what can happen when you get spontaneous polymerization. Boom.

From their MSDS sheets, they do not appear to be especially corrosive. Still pretty dangerous stuff.

6. May 20, 2009 #5

berkeman

Please be sure to read and understand the flammability and spontaneous polymerization properties of these two materials. You probably do not want them to be getting near any heat sources...

7. May 21, 2009 #6
    thanks for all your responses W A has been very helpful with the data provided.
    i was asking if the chemicals are corrosive so that i can determine which type of Stainless Steel i can use for the different units; as there is no need to use a corrosion resistant SS when the chemicals are not corrosive.i think it wont be cost effective.
    i have looked at W\A, could u pls point me as to which property i should consider for the corrosiveness of the chemicals.its not quite clear.
    thanks again

8. May 21, 2009 #7

berkeman

The MSDS will list it as corrosive if it is a strong acid or base:

http://www.ilpi.com/msdS/ref/corrosive.html

For example, look at the MSDS for sulphuric acid:

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/SU/sulfuric_acid_concentrated.html

Nasty stuff.

Did you understand my concerns about the flammability and spontaneous polymerization properties of the two chemicals you are asking about? Is your supervisor/prof/TA aware of the safety aspects involved in working with chemicals like these?

In your work on this, please be sure to make the safety aspects of working with these chemicals part of your written work. Are you just writing up a report, or do you intend to actually build an apparatus and work with these chemicals? What is the goal of this work?

9. May 25, 2009 #8
    thanks alot for the links and all the help man, been very helpful.
    its just a report on the design of the distillation stage of isoprene to produce isoprene and 3-methyl-1-butene. its just 'theoretical' no actual handling of chemicals and all.
    although i will be sure to include that caution need to be taken when handling chemicals due flammability and spontenous polymerization. but all in all its just a report, so i dont think that the safety aspects of handling the equipment are to be thought about alot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook