Materials for civil engineering please

In summary, the individual is seeking help with finding the water-cement ratio for a compressive strength of 6525 psi in fresh concrete. They are unsure if there is a formula for calculating this ratio and question its relevance. Additional information and resources are provided regarding the range of w/c and its selection based on project needs, as well as recommended sources for further research.
wmsaqqa
I have a question I really would be thankful if I had some help

For the mix design in the fresh concrete.. I've got the compressive strength 6525 psi, I didn't find it in any table to find the w/c (water-cement ratio), what should I do and if there is a formula for it what it is?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not my field , but is the water/cement ratio really relevant here?
Surely the compressive strength of cement depends on its constituent materials and their quality, not the exact water/cement ratio.

I would expect that American Concrete Institute would have some reports on w/c and compressive strength.

See also - http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2880&context=etd - Figures 3 and 4.

When durability is not the control parameter, w/c should be selected according to the
compressive strength (Kosmatka et al. 2002). The range of w/c varies based on the project‟s
purpose and structural requirements; type of the construction (for example, normal strength
concrete (3,000-6,000 psi) is used for rigid pavement construction whereas high strength
concrete (6,000-9,000 psi) is used in structural elements; and conditions (e.g., weather and
curing conditions).

Mindess, S., Young, J. F., and Darwin, D. (2003). Concrete. 2nd Ed., Prentice-Hall Inc.,
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.

Kosmatka, S., Kerkhoff, B., and Panarese, W.C. (2002). Design and control of concrete
mixtures, 14th Ed., Portland Cement Association, Skokie, IL, USA.

See also - http://www.cement.org/tech/cct_cement_characteristics.asp

Last edited:

1. What are the common materials used in civil engineering?

Some of the most commonly used materials in civil engineering include concrete, steel, timber, and asphalt. Other materials such as bricks, glass, and composites may also be used depending on the specific project.

2. What properties should materials for civil engineering possess?

Materials used in civil engineering should have properties such as strength, durability, and resistance to weathering and corrosion. They should also be able to withstand heavy loads and various environmental conditions.

3. How are materials tested for use in civil engineering projects?

Materials for civil engineering are typically tested through various methods such as compression, tension, and flexural testing. These tests help determine the strength, stiffness, and other properties of the materials.

4. What are some sustainable materials used in civil engineering?

Sustainable or green materials are becoming increasingly popular in civil engineering projects. Some examples include bamboo, recycled steel, and recycled plastic. These materials have a lower environmental impact and can help reduce carbon footprint.

5. How do materials affect the cost of a civil engineering project?

The cost of materials can significantly impact the overall cost of a civil engineering project. Materials with higher strength and durability may be more expensive, but they can also result in longer-lasting and more efficient structures. Additionally, transportation and sourcing of materials can also affect the project cost.