Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials Needed for Analogue Communications

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm a second year Electronics Engineering undergrad student and this semester I'm studying a subject called Communications Engineering 1, which is basically an introduction to Digital and Analogue Communications.

I'm really stuck so far on the Analogue stuff because our lecture notes are really tough and hard to understand! I'm trying really hard but I need a "stepping stone" or something that gives me a general understanding of whats going on before I get into the maths.

So, what I'm seeking is a book which will help me get a basic understanding before I move onto more in-depth notes.

I'm looking for information on topics such as:

> Multiplexing
    > AM, FM, PWM
    > Angle Modulation
    > Demodulating
    > Sampling

Thanks guys!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I like Stremler's "Introduction to Communication Systems". I also very much like Williams' "Designing Digital Filters" -- it has some good background and motivation for both analog and digital fiilters, and discusses signal theory in a helpful and intuitive way.

The wikipedia.org article on modulation is also pretty helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?