Math Club help

franznietzsche said:
No, why would i say that?

Loving math is always a good thing. Loving knowledge is always a good thing. Its those who despise and ridicule it, make a mockery of what some of us hold dear, that i have a problem with.

The question wasn't intended to ridicule you, sorry. :frown:

Bladibla said:
The question wasn't intended to ridicule you, sorry. :frown:

I didn't think it was.

I was talking about the typical people in high school math clubs that make a mockery of math.

franznietzsche said:
I didn't think it was.

I was talking about the typical people in high school math clubs that make a mockery of math.

:frown: Quite a sad state of affairs, i would say. Although i may not have a right to say this, because unkowingly, i might be one of those people.

Imparcticle said:
The websites everyone suggested are great!! I'll bring them up on our next meeting.

In that case, check out Cut-the-Knot. It's an internet recreational mathematics warehouse. :smile:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have to agree with Franz with one of this comments.

I have yet to meet a Mathematics major that genuinely loves and understand mathematics. I'm still trying to understand what they are doing in the program.

JasonRox said:
I have to agree with Franz with one of this comments.

I have yet to meet a Mathematics major that genuinely loves and understand mathematics. I'm still trying to understand what they are doing in the program.

You're not gonna melt for agreeing with me are you ? :tongue:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
franznietzsche said:
You're not gonna melt for agreeing with me are you ? :tongue:

Never.

Our school use to teach through Spivak in first year... now they don't.

Things are so boring, and I have no motivation to do anything.

I do my own thing, like I mentionned in my post, but that's it. Yes, I would to do some Spivak this summer, but it's not that fun on my own. It's more of a conversational text.

JasonRox said:
I do my own thing, like I mentionned in my post, but that's it. Yes, I would to do some Spivak this summer, but it's not that fun on my own. It's more of a conversational text.

Why not go through it in the Calc&Analysis forum the way Tom is going through Differential Forms in the Tensor Analysis forum ? Although it's not free, it's a book all serious Calc students should be exposed to, and there are many mature mathematicians on this site that would probably love to aid conceptual and theoretical questions and maybe other approaches to problems or add modern commentary.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'll consider it.