Math in Moscow or Budapest Semesters in Mathematics?

• Thread starter Sleepy 104
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the speaker is having a difficult time deciding between two graduate programs in physics and mathematics. They have received advice from their professors and former students, but are still struggling to choose. They provide a list of courses they would like to take at each program and mention their background and interests in graduate school. They also list their previous math classes and the ones they are currently taking. They ask for any suggestions or advice on which program to choose.
Sleepy 104
Hello all,

I'm a physics and math undergrad and I'm having a very difficult time deciding between these two programs. Fortunately I was accepted into both, so it's a good problem, but having to decide between the two is starting to wear on me; I really love both programs. I've gotten great advice from my math professors and from former students, but alas I'm still flip flopping every hour. ANY insight or advice would be appreciated!

Here's what I would like to take if I went there.

Budapest: Combinatorics 1, Introduction to Topology, Functional Analysis, Differential Geometry, and Advanced Algebra.

Moscow: Topology I, Differential Geometry, Knot Theory, Representation Theory, Russian I.

Just so that you have an idea of my background and thoughts here's a quick bio.

I know I want to go to graduate school but I don't know if I want to do theoretical physics or mathematics. As of right now I think I'll be doing (or at least attempting haha) theoretical physics because I love the prospect of studying QFTs and quantum gravity. But that might change after this experience. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there topological QFTs of higher dimensions? So I guess I could study and research both theoretical physics and mathematics?

Math classes I have taken other than the intro calc and ODE series: linear algebra (undergraduate level), intro to math computing, theory of probability, modern algebra, modern geometry (hyperbolic), advanced engineering mathematics (PDEs), and advanced calulus I and II. I have also taken a methods of theoretical physics.

Math classes I'm currently taking complex analysis and advanced linear algebra (graduate level). The advanced lin. alg. class is really tough but I love it. We already learned some tensor algebra and exterior algebra to define and prove things like determinants!

Physics news on Phys.org
So that's me. Any suggestions, advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much in advance.

1. What is "Math in Moscow" or "Budapest Semesters in Mathematics"?

"Math in Moscow" and "Budapest Semesters in Mathematics" are two highly prestigious study abroad programs for mathematics students. They are offered by the Independent University of Moscow in Russia and the Budapest Semesters in Mathematics program in Hungary, respectively. These programs provide an immersive experience in advanced mathematics courses taught by world-renowned mathematicians in an international setting.

2. What makes these programs unique compared to other study abroad programs?

These programs are specifically designed for mathematics students and offer a rigorous and challenging curriculum in advanced mathematics. They also provide opportunities for students to engage with and learn from renowned mathematicians and researchers from around the world. Additionally, the location of these programs in Moscow and Budapest, two major hubs for mathematics research, makes them unique and highly sought-after by students.

3. What are the requirements to participate in these programs?

Students must have completed at least two years of university-level mathematics courses and have a strong mathematical background to be considered for these programs. They also need to have a good understanding of the English language, as all courses are taught in English. Each program may have additional requirements, so it is important to carefully review the application process and eligibility criteria before applying.

4. What kind of courses are offered in these programs?

Both "Math in Moscow" and "Budapest Semesters in Mathematics" offer a wide range of advanced mathematics courses, including topics such as algebra, geometry, analysis, topology, and combinatorics. The courses are taught at a fast pace and cover material typically not offered at most universities. Students can earn credits that may transfer to their home institution, depending on the policies of their university.

5. What are the benefits of participating in these programs?

Participating in these programs can greatly enhance a student's mathematical knowledge and skills, as well as their academic and career prospects. Students have the opportunity to learn from some of the most renowned mathematicians in the world, engage in hands-on research projects, and immerse themselves in a different culture. They also have the chance to build a strong network of peers and mentors from around the world, which can be beneficial for future academic and career opportunities.