Math Olympiad problem - Applying induction and the pigeon hole principle

In summary, the problem at hand involves using the pigeon hole principle to prove that there must be two repeated absolute values in a set of 2m+1 distinct numbers. This is because there are only 2m distinct absolute values available and if there are 2m+1 distinct numbers, then one must be repeated. We can also assume that zero is not one of the integers, reducing the number of possible absolute values to 2m-1. Further exploration and experimentation with smaller cases may be helpful in finding a solution.
jdinatale
Ok, so this problem looks like an induction problem to me, so I used that, but I only got as far as the induction hypothesis. The hint says to use the pigeon hole principle. I'm not sure how to use that for this problem.

Untitled-5.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the solution to this problem, but here are a few things that might be useful:

There are only 2m distinct absolute values available between -(2m-1) and +(2m-1). Therefore if you have 2m+1 distinct numbers, then an absolute value must be repeated. This means that there must be a positive and negative pair. In other words, the set must contain two distinct values j and -j. If the set also contains zero, then you're done.

Therefore, we may assume that zero is not one of the 2m+1 distinct integers. This means that there are in fact only 2m-1 possible absolute values (since zero is excluded). Therefore there must be two repeated absolute values, i.e. two positive/negative pairs.

I haven't worked out where to go from here, and it might be a dead end. It might be useful to play around with a small concrete case, say m=4 or 5, and see how you might prove it in that case.

What is a Math Olympiad problem?

A Math Olympiad problem is a challenging mathematical problem designed to test the problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities of students. These problems often require creative thinking and advanced mathematical concepts to solve.

What is induction?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement holds for a base case (usually n=1) and then showing that if the statement holds for a particular value of n, it also holds for n+1.

What is the pigeon hole principle?

The pigeon hole principle is a mathematical principle that states that if there are n pigeons and m pigeonholes, and n>m, then at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one pigeon. This principle is often used in combinatorics and counting problems.

How is induction used in Math Olympiad problems?

Induction is often used in Math Olympiad problems to prove that a statement or formula holds for all natural numbers. This technique is particularly useful for proving formulas involving sums and products.

How is the pigeon hole principle used in Math Olympiad problems?

The pigeon hole principle is often used in Math Olympiad problems to show that a certain outcome or arrangement is impossible. It can also be used to prove the existence of a solution to a problem by showing that there must be at least one possible outcome.