Math Probability: Need to find the Variance

In summary, the problem involves buying 15 boxes, each containing 4 microprocessors, from a large lot where 9.5% of the microprocessors are defective. The variable Y represents the number of boxes with less than 2 defective microprocessors. To find the variance of Y, we first calculate the probability that a randomly chosen box has less than 2 defectives. Then, using this probability and the variance formula for a binomial distribution, we can find the variance of Y.
CryptoMath

Homework Statement

You buy 15 boxes each containing 4 microprocessors. All microprocessors come from a very large lot in which 9.5 % of microprocessors are defective. Y = the number of boxes in which there is less than 2 defective microprocessors.

QUESTION:
Find the Variance of the variable Y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking this is Binomial.

We are looking of a number of boxes that has less than 2 defective, which means (0 or 1) is acceptable.

We know there is 15 boxes with 4 microprocessors each.
So 15*4 = 60 total microprocessors
9.5% of microprocessors are defective, so 60*9.5%=5,7

n=15
p=??

Am I thinking this right ? Pretty much stuck here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CryptoMath said:

Homework Statement

You buy 15 boxes each containing 4 microprocessors. All microprocessors come from a very large lot in which 9.5 % of microprocessors are defective. Y = the number of boxes in which there is less than 2 defective microprocessors.

QUESTION:
Find the Variance of the variable Y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking this is Binomial.

We are looking of a number of boxes that has less than 2 defective, which means (0 or 1) is acceptable.

We know there is 15 boxes with 4 microprocessors each.
So 15*4 = 60 total microprocessors
9.5% of microprocessors are defective, so 60*9.5%=5,7

n=15
p=??

Am I thinking this right ? Pretty much stuck here.

Thanks

What is the probability (call it ##p##) that a (randomly-chosen) box has fewer than 2 defectives? That computation is elementary.

Once you have figured out the value of ##p##, you can compute the probability distribution of Y = number of acceptable boxes out of 15 (where an acceptable box has < 2 defectives). That computation ought to be familiar.

Crypto, this problem has the same general form as your earlier one about Binomial+Poisson. In that one you had to first work out the probability of a page having no errors, and then use that as a binomial parameter. This is the same except that instead of working out the prob of a page having no errors, you are working out the prob of a box containing fewer than two defective units. This doesn't really add anything to what Ray said, but I thought it might help to point out the similarity to the other problem, so you can get the hang of breaking down these puzzles.

Ray Vickson said:
What is the probability (call it ##p##) that a (randomly-chosen) box has fewer than 2 defectives? That computation is elementary.

Once you have figured out the value of ##p##, you can compute the probability distribution of Y = number of acceptable boxes out of 15 (where an acceptable box has < 2 defectives). That computation ought to be familiar.

andrewkirk said:
Crypto, this problem has the same general form as your earlier one about Binomial+Poisson. In that one you had to first work out the probability of a page having no errors, and then use that as a binomial parameter. This is the same except that instead of working out the prob of a page having no errors, you are working out the prob of a box containing fewer than two defective units. This doesn't really add anything to what Ray said, but I thought it might help to point out the similarity to the other problem, so you can get the hang of breaking down these puzzles.
I did that:

Binomcdf(15,0.095,0,1)
=0.576018

Variance formula for Binomial
= npq
with n = 4 and p = 0.576018 and q = (1-0.576018)

= 0.976885

Does that make sense ?
Thank you for your help and time.

CryptoMath said:
I did that:

Binomcdf(15,0.095,0,1)
=0.576018

= npq
with n = 4 and p = 0.576018 and q = (1-0.576018)

= 0.976885

Does that make sense ?
Thank you for your help and time.

You are not buying 4 boxes; you are buying 15 boxes.

There are two steps:
(1) work out probability that a given box will have less than two defective units
(2) then work out the variance of the number of boxes, out of the 15, that have less than two defective units.
Which of the two steps is the following?
CryptoMath said:
I did that:

Binomcdf(15,0.095,0,1)
=0.576018
If it is step 1 then it should not be using 15, as there are four units per box.
If it is step 2 then it should not be using 0.095, as that is not the probability of a box having less than two defective units.

If you label your steps and state what you are doing, you will be less likely to get confused between the two steps.

andrewkirk said:
There are two steps:
(1) work out probability that a given box will have less than two defective units
(2) then work out the variance of the number of boxes, out of the 15, that have less than two defective units.
Which of the two steps is the following?

If it is step 1 then it should not be using 15, as there are four units per box.
If it is step 2 then it should not be using 0.095, as that is not the probability of a box having less than two defective units.

If you label your steps and state what you are doing, you will be less likely to get confused between the two steps.
Okay;

Step 1:
15*4=60
Binomcdf(60,0.095,0,1)
=0.018287

Step2:
= npq
with n = 15 and p = 0.018287 and q = (1-0.018287)

= 0.269287

CryptoMath said:
Step 1:
15*4=60
Binomcdf(60,0.095,0,1)
=0.018287
Why is the number 15 in there? For step 1, given a randomly selected box containing four units, where each unit has a 9.5% chance of being defective, and defectiveness of any two units is independent of each other, we are trying to work out the probability that less than two of the units are defective. The number 15 is not relevant to the calculation.
That's why I think it's so important to get into the habit of writing the explanatory words around the formulas, rather than just writing the formulas cold as you are doing. If you had prefaced your formula with an explanatory sentence, you would have noticed that the number 15 does not occur in the sentence, and hence probably should not be in the formula either.

Likes CryptoMath
andrewkirk said:
Why is the number 15 in there? For step 1, given a randomly selected box containing four units, where each unit has a 9.5% chance of being defective, and defectiveness of any two units is independent of each other, we are trying to work out the probability that less than two of the units are defective. The number 15 is not relevant to the calculation.
That's why I think it's so important to get into the habit of writing the explanatory words around the formulas, rather than just writing the formulas cold as you are doing. If you had prefaced your formula with an explanatory sentence, you would have noticed that the number 15 does not occur in the sentence, and hence probably should not be in the formula either.
I just got the correct answer:
I had 60 because I was thinking we needed to total amount of microprocessor

Step 1:

Binomcdf(4,0.095,0,1)
=0.9524

Step2:
= npq
with n = 15 and p = 0.9524 and q = (1-0.9524)
=0.679136

Well done
:smile:

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. What is variance in math probability?

Variance is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its mean (or average) value. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean.

3. How do you calculate variance?

To calculate variance, you first need to find the mean of your data set. Then, subtract the mean from each data point and square the result. Finally, take the average of these squared differences to find the variance.

4. Why is variance important in probability?

Variance is important in probability because it helps us understand the spread of data and make predictions about the likelihood of future events. It is also used in many statistical tests and models to measure the accuracy of our predictions.

5. Can variance be negative?

No, variance cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative value because it is the average of squared differences, which are always positive. A variance of 0 means that all the data points are equal to the mean, while a larger variance indicates greater variability in the data set.