1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math problem integration by partial fractions

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    integrate (4x+3)/(x^2+4x+5)^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know to solve this problem you have to work with partial fractions, in the solution we were given they solve as followed

4x+3=A(x^2+4x+5)'+B

I don't know why they take the derivative of x^2+4x+5

thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From what you show here they are not using partial fractions. What they're doing is an ordinary substitution, with ##u = x^2 + 4x + 5##. In this substitution, what is du? That's where the derivative you're asking about comes in.

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to solve the problem! I think I remember doing this myself for some recent problem on here.

You have a linear divided by a quadratic. The derivative of a quadratic is a linear. If you are lucky, i.e. in the simplest case the numerator will be the derivative of the denominator (multiplied by a number). In general however the derivative of the quadratic will be the numerator (multiplied by a number) plus a constant. So you will get to integrate something of form

C1Q'/ Q + C2/Q, where the C's are known constants.

The integral of the first fraction is C1 ln Q , and the second fraction you expresse as partial fractions, and will get further ln 's .

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4
    thank you very much for the explanation, I will try the exercise with your method

6. Dec 7, 2015 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I expect someone else discovered it first. :oldsmile:

7. Dec 7, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To be sure, you have a linear polynomial divided by a quadratic polynomial squared. There might be a partial fraction expansion, but it will probably be messy.

When the denominator is raised to a power, it's better to see if substitution can be used.

8. Dec 8, 2015 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops yes :redface: I had missed that the denominator was squared. So it seems they want to get it in the form Q'/Q2 (multiplied by a number) which is -(1/Q)' .
    So that bit can be integrated to -1/Q and you are left with some number multiplying 1/Q2 which is a standard form to integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted